permission_rows

Harvey
I thought that I used to be able to edit the text in the permission_rows macro but now it seems I can't?

Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
It looks like the create_poll permission is added as an override so that the original macro can't be edited. (Also looks like my original edits are gone).

Can the create poll be added in to the original macro?

Re: permission_rows

Pedro
We are checking it. Here I'm having a problem with this macro too.

Re: permission_rows

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey, why do you want to change the text on that screen? Normal users don't have access to that page, so I don't see the point. In the worst case, you could use the translation tags to override the text, but I don't understand why you would ever need this.

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey, why do you want to change the text on that screen? Normal users don't have access to that page, so I don't see the point. In the worst case, you could use the translation tags to override the text, but I don't understand why you would ever need this.
LOL. Hugo the operative phrase here is "normal users." I'm surprised you mistook me for a normal user.

Remember I changed "See How NAML Creates this Page" to just "NAML."

I'm just high maintenance. Don't worry about this.

Re: permission_rows

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
LOL. Hugo the operative phrase here is "normal users." I'm surprised you mistook me for a normal user.
LOL. The point is that only you (and other admins, if any) can view that page. So customizing that text is pointless :-)
Harvey44 wrote
Remember I changed "See How NAML Creates this Page" to just "NAML."
This is different because everyone can view that sentence in the footer. So this is worth customizing.

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
I didn't know everyone could see the naml link.  Which just shows how nuts I am.  I do wish I could shorten what is in there so the entire permissions page would fit on one screen.

For example (and this is a width thing not length) - I was going to test the poll feature on just a few users but since it wouldn't fit on one screen I killed that idea. Nuts huh.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Harvey44 wrote
LOL. Hugo the operative phrase here is "normal users." I'm surprised you mistook me for a normal user.
LOL. The point is that only you (and other admins, if any) can view that page. So customizing that text is pointless :-)
Harvey44 wrote
Remember I changed "See How NAML Creates this Page" to just "NAML."
This is different because everyone can view that sentence in the footer. So this is worth customizing.
Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://support.nabble.com/permission-rows-tp7580703p7580716.html
To unsubscribe from permission_rows, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog

Re: permission_rows

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
I didn't know everyone could see the naml link.  Which just shows how nuts
I am.  I do wish I could shorten what is in there so the entire permissions
page would fit on one screen.
We talked about this some months ago. The NAML link should NOT be removed by anyone (although it can be renamed, like in your case).
Harvey44 wrote
For example (and this is a width thing not length) - I was going to test
the poll feature on just a few users but since it wouldn't fit on one
screen I killed that idea. Nuts huh.
You should see a horizontal scrollbar on that page when it doesn't fit in the window. If this is not enough, you could remove all those descriptions by tweaking the "permission_row" macro (singular, not plural). You can take a look and let me know if you have questions.

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
It does give me a scroll bar. I'm just not really fond of scroll bars.  It's fine, leave it the way it is. I need to learn to be more flexible.

Harvey44 wrote

http://support.nabble.com/permission-rows-tp7580703p7580718.html
To unsubscribe from permission_rows, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog
----------
Harvey Road: www.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Forum: forum.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Magazine: mag.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Directory: directory.NYSkiBlog.com

I  find myself about every six months wanting to edit the permissions rows.  What I can see matters to me.

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
I could rewrite all the descriptions to make them shorter and more clear. You could push it out Nabble wide.

Start be removing:

"under this application"
"of this application"
"in this application"

from each description.  I think it's obvious that when you grant a power it is for this application you are in.

Take something like:

Who can move messages under other destinations (e.g., sub-forums, subcategories, etc)

and make it:

Move messages to other sub-forums or subcategories.

Take this:

Who can edit any content, both applications and posts. Note: Please only use this feature in extreme circumstances. Most users will not like having their posts edited by someone else.

and make it:

Edit ANY content, both applications and posts.

I don't need the warning to use care in moderating my forum  built into my control panel.

Or let me edit that macro and I will do it to suit myself.

Re: permission_rows

Pedro
I created a file at your editor called permissions_translations. You can add there translation tags to shorten those descriptions.
I've added one for you:
On the other hand, you can set the description column width with css:
table.permissions td.col1 {
width: 100px;
}
table.permissions {
width: 100%
}

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
I couldn't make this work. Some code in the description prohibits me from pasting it into a translation.

Also somehow the translation created a macro:

Re: permission_rows

Pedro
I didn't understand what you did. Please, go to the advanced naml editor -> permissions_translations, and try to add another one. Have you tried it?

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
I actually didn't do anything.

I tried to do this but got an error:

We got the columns to fit (my main goal) so I'd let it go.

Re: permission_rows

Pedro
Sorry, in this case you have to replace the special characters < and >. Please, copy this template to your file:
<translation>
<from>Who can post any content without restriction (including javascript code, &lt;object&gt; and &lt;style&gt; tags, etc.).
<to>Unrestricted posting description</to>
</translation>

Re: permission_rows

Harvey
Pedro I appreciate the effort but I dont think we need to do this.

My main goal is to avoid scrolling.

I do think you could reword the permissions row nabble wide but that is your call.

http://support.nabble.com/permission-rows-tp7580703p7589559.html
To unsubscribe from permission_rows, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog
Harvey Road: NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Forum: forum.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Magazine: mag.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Directory: directory.NYSkiBlog.com

Re: permission_rows

Pedro
Ok. If your permission table gets too wide, please use the css rules I've wrote before.
Let me know if you need any help.
My test forum.