most but not all posts not making it to Nabble

most but not all posts not making it to Nabble

JonD
My favorite listserv from SourceForge is replicated on Nabble.  Lately I have noticed that most, but not all, messages never make it to Nabble.  However, I still receive these "missing" posts at my subscribed email address and they still appear in the SourceForge archives.

Any ideas what is happening?  For a variety of reasons I prefer using Nabble to search archived posts and respond when I can contribute to the conversation.

The only clue that I have is that the messages that do appear at Nabble have the yellow notice "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet."

This is the Nabble page for the listserv: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/
This is the SourceForge archive for the listserv: https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/micro-manager-general/

Of the last eight messages sent to the list, only two has made it to Nabble.  In reverse chronological order:
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35653546/
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35652992/ (this one is at http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Zeiss-Definite-Focus-2-td7588069.html)
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35651799/
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35651043/
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35650223/
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35650032/
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35650264/ (this one is at http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/How-to-capture-stitched-montage-images-tp6951992p7588068.html)
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/35649050/

Thanks,

Jon

Re: most but not all posts not making it to Nabble

GregChapman
JonD wrote
The only clue that I have is that the messages that do appear at Nabble have the yellow notice "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet
When you create a Nabble archive of another mailing list, Nabble subscribes itself to that list and simply posts all emails received as posts on the forum. Any posts made on the forum are forwarded to the list as emails using the currently registered address of the poster. Almost all mail lists are set up to reject mail from those who are not subscribers.

I note that the two Nabble posts you flag as have been made by users who have not posted in a number of years. I suspect that they both have updated their email address at Nabble so are now posting from non-subscriber addresses at the mail list

If I am right they need to go to the mail list and subscribe using their current address registered at Nabble.

Re: most but not all posts not making it to Nabble

JonD
GregChapman wrote
JonD wrote
The only clue that I have is that the messages that do appear at Nabble have the yellow notice "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet
When you create a Nabble archive of another mailing list, Nabble subscribes itself to that list and simply posts all emails received as posts on the forum. Any posts made on the forum are forwarded to the list as emails using the currently registered address of the poster. Almost all mail lists are set up to reject mail from those who are not subscribers.

I note that the two Nabble posts you flag as have been made by users who have not posted in a number of years. I suspect that they both have updated their email address at Nabble so are now posting from non-subscriber addresses at the mail list.
Thanks for that Greg.  I suspect the opposite is happening, that Nabble is only getting messages that are posted through the Nabble interface but not messages sent to the listserv directly.

Is it possible that somehow Nabble is no longer subscribed to the email list?  Is there any way to verify that Nabble is receiving messages from the email list besides pointing out specific messages sent to the email list and in the hoster's archive that are not in the Nabble archive? (I already did that)

Jon

Re: most but not all posts not making it to Nabble

GregChapman
I confess I only looked at the Nabble side of it and the most typical issue with mail list archives - non subscription to the mail list itself.

Clearly, stuff posted via Nabble will always get as far as Nabble. However, it seems no message posted by anyone at Nabble has been getting through in the last few days. I was also a little suspicious while posting my first reply as I recall that the usual message at the head of a non-subscriber post refers to it being "pending" rather than "not accepted yet".

So it does seem that Nabble has lost its subscription in this case.

I can't see any evidence that things have been changed at the Nabble side of things (not that I'm sure there would be any) so, at the moment, my best guess is that due to some server glitch at Nabble, the Mailman software has decided to suspend Nabble's subscription. It would be worth an enquiry to the list owner at Mailman to see if this might be the case.

You could also check with the Nabble archive owner to see if he has changed anything. Reach him via the "Created by" link on the form home page. A screen will appear that allows you to email him.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

The only other option I can see is to create a new archive here and re-subscribe to the mailman list, but that is hardly ideal.

Re: most but not all posts not making it to Nabble

nicost
My bad!  We  were getting inappropriate content through nabble, so I unsubscribed nabble from the mailing list.  Looking at the FAQs, I now understand that my action was not very helpful.  So, how do I re-subscribe nabble? I can do this through the mailman interface, but what email address do I use?  Will nabble know what to do with the confirmation request?  Thanks?

Re: most but not all posts not making it to Nabble

nicost
Figured it out thanks to Jon.