is there a way to sort the forum app

PedXing
by the number of views that topics have?  and then a better question maybe is can I also do this same function by a limited date range?  (i.e.  what are the most popular posts trending today, this week, this month, etc.)

I see all sorts of options in advanced search EXCEPT by number of views.

thanks!

shane

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

Hugo <Nabble>
Nabble currently can't make this idea happen, but we are discussing this issue internally. The idea is that people should be able to do this with our templating engine, so we will have to prepare the ground for that. I will give you more details later.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

We talked about this internally and we should be able to handle this request without major issues. How exactly this should work? Where on the user interface would you like to display those "most popular" lists? Please explain to us what you have in mind and we will make this change for you.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

PedXing
wow. well thats just awesome Hugo!

What would be ideal for ME might actually change your desire to implement this, which I would completely understand.  IDEALLY I'd like to be able to be able to access the results of ANY advanced search as an xml/rss/atom feed.   So that would mean integrating the feature into the "advanced search" panel as a tick box "Sort by popularity" or "sort by number of views" either in the advanced search panel itself, or right along side the "sort by relevance/sort by date" options in the  search result.  Having it there does a couple of things that would be quite useful:  1.)  you could drill-down on really finite topics with all of the features that are already included in the advanced search, and 2.) having any advanced search available as an rss feed allows the results to be re-purposed infinitely.  MY intended usage is simple as I really just want to be able to separately call attention to popular items in the forum, which would most likely take the form of a side-bar widget for me.  As a research tool this would also be quite useful but that would be secondary usage for me.

I know there are about 1000 ways to implement the feature that would benefit the casual user which I would probably be content with for research purposes, but what I've described above is a best-case scenario for myself.

Thanks for the consideration!  If adding rss support to the search options is a project that doesn't make sense for Nabble just let me know some other options that DO make sense.

Looking forward to fleshing this out!

shane

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
We talked about this internally and we should be able to handle this request without major issues. How exactly this should work? Where on the user interface would you like to display those "most popular" lists? Please explain to us what you have in mind and we will make this change for you.
Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/is-there-a-way-to-sort-the-forum-app-tp5994719p5997106.html
To unsubscribe from is there a way to sort the forum app, click here.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi shane, thanks for the detailed explanation. I have a few questions:

(1) Where exactly would you use the xml/rss/atom feeds from the advanced search? I assume you want this feature to read those feeds with another system, maybe an aggregator. Is this correct? If you plan to always use the advanced search page (with the sort by popularity option), then there would be no need for feeds.

(2) For the sidebar widget, would you really search for a given query or would you like just the most popular topics under the current forum/app? I am asking this because the answer affects the implementation.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

PedXing

Okay,  I'm writing this from a phone so I'll get right to the point.

1.)  My initial intent is to use the feed to show popular items on the list on the homepage of my Wordpress site to draw people to the forums immediately with interesting topics. I may run it through an aggregator at some point to compile a list of all the most popular posts from all of the mailing lists.   Having it in rss means that I don't have the overhead of embedding a second nabble instance on a single page.

2.) Just to clarify,  I'd like to use a Wordpress rss widget to display popular topics in alternate locations on the website.   That said,  I personally only want to display the most popular items in a given time period on a given app.   I just figured that if it was built into advanced search that all of those other options would naturally be available for future use or others use.

That's it from me.   Let me know if I can clarify or help in any way!

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

Hugo <Nabble>
PedXing wrote
I personally only want to display the most popular items in a given time period on a given app.
Maybe we should try this first because it is simpler and will not go through our lucene index.

Another question: you always mention RSS as the feed format. Nabble feeds are in ATOM format, is this an issue for you? If this is an issue, I will have to implement the RSS format as well. Please let me know.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

PedXing
Hey, whatever is best for the project Hugo!  I'm just happy to have access to the information.  =)

and to answer the question, no thats not an issue at all.  I know the technical differences but I use the RSS term generically.

Looking forward to the end result, THANKS!

shane

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/is-there-a-way-to-sort-the-forum-app-tp5994719p6008901.html

Hugo <Nabble>
Just an update: this task in almost done. There are a few issues with still have to solve, but it should be ready for you next week.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

PedXing

Killer! I'm super excited that you guys decided to tackle this. Thanks for the update!

On Feb 18, 2011 11:13 AM, "Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just an update: this task in almost done. There are a few issues with still
> have to solve, but it should be ready for you next week.
>
> -----
> Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi shane, here is the URL to get topics by popularity (ATOM feeds):
http://forums.landertalk.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=atom_topics_by_popularity&node=1778248&from_date=20100101&to_date=20110201

Parameters:
node = ID of the app (in the example above, the code considers all topics in the parent forum and all sub-forums)
from_date = start date filter, format is YYYYMMDD
to_date = end date filter, format is YYYYMMDD

Please let me know if you need help with anything else.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

PedXing
Hey, this looks GREAT and I've been using it for the last few days on the website.  One feature that would be awesome to have would be to lock it down to X number of days.  In its current implementation I need to change the address of my atom feed every day to be able to accurately show what is trending "this week" or "this month" If I could set it and forget it it would be much more useful.  whadya think?

shane

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/is-there-a-way-to-sort-the-forum-app-tp5994719p6063400.html
To unsubscribe from is there a way to sort the forum app, click here.

Re: is there a way to sort the forum app

Hugo <Nabble>
You shouldn't have to update the URL every day.
For this week, you should consider the dates start=20110227 end=20110305
For this month, you should consider the dates start=20110301 end=20110331

Why do you have to change the dates every day?