force to post to a sub forum?

Gale (Audacity Team)
Is it possible to force posting to a sub forum even if a user enters via the parent forum. In case I'm using wrong terminology,  if someone goes here:
http://n2.nabble.com/Audacity-f238276.html

is there some way so they don't get a new topic option until they go to a sub forum. I've seen "change forum format" but I'm not sure it helps.

Thanks

Re: force to post to a sub forum?

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Gale (Audacity Team) wrote

Yes. Go to Options->Control User Privileges, Under "Who can start new topics and create sub-forums here?" select "Owners only". This way, the non-owners will see "Use sub-forum to post" instead of "New topic". You can log out of your account and see what it looks like.

Re: force to post to a sub forum?

Gale (Audacity Team)
Thanks Will. My suggestion would be this option should be off by default at least insofar as normal users should not be able to create subforums.

Gale

Re: force to post to a sub forum?

Nalicter
Gale (Audacity Team) wrote
Thanks Will. My suggestion would be this option should be off by default at least insofar as normal users should not be able to create subforums.
I think you two were talking about something in different contexts here. However, I at first agreed that the ability for anyone to make sub forums should be off by default. However, now I semi-disagree—because I've learned how pinned forums work. Pinned forums show up first, and they're known to be created by the forum owner. If you pin your forums, I don't think you'll find user-created forums too problematic (unless of course users think they're making posts, instead of really weird-looking forums).

I might suggest adding an 'are you sure' warning for creating forums, letting people know that they're making a forum and not a post (at least, if the forum name is more than a few words or if the description is filled).