footer stripping?

Marc Martin
Hi, I've seen this question asked before here, but didn't find an answer...

I've got a forum that is mirroring a mailing list.  The mailing list appends a 4-line footer to the end of each message. And of course, if people reply to others messages, then those 4-lines might appear multiple times in a message.

I think it'd be nice if I could strip off that footer for the messages that appear in the forum.

Does anyone have an example code of how to do this?

If it makes any difference, I have control over the footer text, so I could start it and end it with a unique character sequence.  But I'd rather not get rid of it.

Re: footer stripping?

Pedro
Sorry, but I do not remember seeing these 4-line footer topics. Could you give me some examples?

Re: footer stripping?

Marc Martin
Yes, for example:

--
list address: sm@simplelists.com

Re: footer stripping?

Pedro
Marc Martin wrote
Yes, for example:

--
list address: sm@simplelists.com
Do you mean the lines between Yes, for example: and -- ?? I could fix something similar in resetting my email client configuration.

Re: footer stripping?

Marc Martin
Hmmm, from that reply, I'm thinking that my original request was not clear enough.  :-)

I have a forum that is mirroring an email list.  On the email list, the LISTSERV adds a footer to everyone's emails.  The Nabble forum is archiving these messages, but I don't see any reason to include that footer on the forum version of posts.  And in fact, when I post messages to the email list via the Nabble forum, those footers don't show up on the forum version of the posts.

The footers include all text between the quotation marks below:

"--
list address: sm@simplelists.com

I'm assuming that I can override a macro somewhere to remove any occurrence of these 4 lines, whenever a message is posted in the future?  But I'm not sure which macro, or what the override would look like.

I don't think there is any need to remove this footer for past posts -- I was thinking more in terms of future posts.

Re: footer stripping?

Pedro
Please, take a look on your forum now.

Re: footer stripping?

Marc Martin
On July 25, "Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please, take a look on your forum now.

Great, thanks!

And I see some very fancy code in the macro override "message_as_html".  :-)

Marc