fetaure request - idetnify read messages by login

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

David Beaumont
we have  a social forum where you can try it, no one will notice there.  http://n4.nabble.com/DBA-Social-list-f252169.html

David

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

Hugo <Nabble>
Let me give you a more detailed explanation. Your mailing list server (mailman) adds the "DBA:" prefix to all messages sent to the list. Even if the message doesn't have the prefix (which is normal when someone starts a new topic), mailman will add the prefix to its subject and send the message to all subscribers. So the idea is to have Nabble remove this prefix from subjects before saving the posts in our database. If someone replies to a post on Nabble, mailman will fix the subject again and all subscribers will see the prefix in the subject. In other words, it doesn't matter what Nabble does, all subscribers will see the prefix. I just want to remove it from our database so that threading can always work by subject.
David Beaumont wrote
we have  a social forum where you can try it, no one will notice there.  http://n4.nabble.com/DBA-Social-list-f252169.html
This list doesn't have a prefix, does it?

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

David Beaumont
well this is strange, it does append DBAS: but none of the archives have it. Have just sent a test

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

David Beaumont
just sent one by email to the social list, dba appended and replioed by Nabble, DBAS kept.  I remain confused and nervous - some users complained aftyer hte migration problems.  Please try anything out on the social list before on one of our main lists.

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

Hugo <Nabble>
I just changed the social list to ignore the "DBAS:". You can make another test and see if it works. It didn't work in your first test because the prefix was not configured. It should work now.

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

Hi David, I saw your tests on the social list. As you could see, the archived messages don't have the "DBAS:" prefix and look cleaner. But the good news is that this prefix was sent to all subscribers. Please let me know what you think.

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

David Beaumont
I think it seems to work fine.  Bob please let Hugo know when he can go ahead and take the prefix off the Nav list archives, then we can do the main list if no one complains.

Thanks

David

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

David Beaumont
Thanks Bob please let Julian know when you are happy it has gone  OK.

Julian please let Huigo know when to do the same for the main list.

best wishes

David

From: Bob Marsland <[hidden email]>
Date: 7 December 2009 23:09:19 GMT
To: David Beaumont <[hidden email]>
Cc: "'Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]'" <[hidden email]>

I think the Social list test has proved very useful, if a little frustrating with some of the content.  Please go ahead with the change to the Nav list/forum.

While I am at it, may I ask for the Social List to be added to the names of fora across the top of www.bargeforum.org (and Association Matters too when that happens).  May I further ask if it is possible to have all five in distinctly different colours and for these colours to be replicated in the Sub-Forum list at the right of every entry please.

Best wishes,

Bob

Bob & Bobbie Marsland
MS La Chouette

On 9 Jan 2010, at 12:11, David Beaumont wrote:

Bob did you receive my email below?

Best wishes

David

Hugo <Nabble>
Ok. David, I changed the navigation list and now threading should work. Please let me know when I can apply a similar change to the main list. Regards, Hugo Teixeira.

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

David Beaumont

Hi Julian are you happy to let Hugo remove the DBA prefix from the forum?  Seemed to work well on the Nav list.  If so just let Hugo know.

Thanks

David

I think it seems to work fine.  Bob please let Hugo know when he can go ahead and take the prefix off the Nav list archives, then we can do the main list if no one complains.

Thanks

David

Hi David, I saw your tests on the social list. As you could see, the archived messages don't have the "DBAS:" prefix and look cleaner. But the good news is that this prefix was sent to all subscribers. Please let me know what you think.

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/fetaure-request-idetnify-read-messages-by-login-tp3892459p4116187.html
To unsubscribe from RE: thread by subject not metadata please, click here.

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

David Beaumont

Thanks I’ve asked ian if he did anything unusual, possibly he added it or perhaps he uses the newsgroup interface.

David

I think it seems to work fine.  Bob please let Hugo know when he can go ahead and take the prefix off the Nav list archives, then we can do the main list if no one complains.

Thanks

David

Hi David, I saw your tests on the social list. As you could see, the archived messages don't have the "DBAS:" prefix and look cleaner. But the good news is that this prefix was sent to all subscribers. Please let me know what you think.

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/fetaure-request-idetnify-read-messages-by-login-tp3892459p4116187.html
To unsubscribe from RE: thread by subject not metadata please, click here.

RE: thread by subject not metadata please

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi David, the problem described by Bob Marsland was fixed and won't bother again (the Mech thread was fixed, see it here). The Navigation list will continue to archive posts correctly. Please let me know when you are ready to also change the main list.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com
12