feature request html -> text conversion

dlang
currently all text in bold, italics, or underlined in inbound html e-mail gets converted into *text*

please consider changing this so that you have instead

bold -> *text*
italics -> /text/
underlined -> _text_

even better would be if it was possible to do text -> html, both with these conversions and also with changing the traditional '> ' indentations into html quote blocks.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Peter <Nabble>
I know this convention but I'm not sure most of people do. If we change it there may be people who could find these marks strange (all but the > indentations). It reminds me of old times plain-text communication. :-)

I'm looking into your request.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Peter <Nabble>
Just to get it straight:

You want the plain text e-mail to have a formatting more close to it's equivalent in html, right?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

dlang
correct

David Lang

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Peter <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Peter <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]"
>     <[hidden email]>
> To: dlang <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: feature request html -> text conversion
>

> Just to get it straight:
>
> You want the plain text e-mail to have a formatting more close to it's
> equivalent in html, right?
>

> -----
> Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

GregChapman
I strongly suspect that 99% of people use mail clients that render the HTML part of the Nabble mails and for whom the plain text part is never seen.

I'd also be 90% sure that those who use choose plain text mail clients will be familiar with the convention for plain text rendering of quotes, bold, italic, and underlined and the additional formatting would be well received by all of them.

In other words, I think this should be the default and not just restricted to dlang's forums.

Additionally, while tweaking the plain text email code...

I still struggle to remember, when writing a reply via the web site, to insert a line break following a closing quote tag.  If I don't do that then the response gets rendered as part of the quote in the plain text part of the email to subscribers. It would be great if the conversion to email format would ensure that the plain text part separates any quote and my response.

OK, we will be looking into it.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

jonaspm {Helper}
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Hugo <Nabble>
This feature is already implemented.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Hi Team,

You may remember this...
GregChapman wrote
Additionally, while tweaking the plain text email code...

I still struggle to remember, when writing a reply via the web site, to insert a line break following a closing quote tag.  If I don't do that then the response gets rendered as part of the quote in the plain text part of the email to subscribers. It would be great if the conversion to email format would ensure that the plain text part separates any quote and my response.
This still does not seem to be fixed. In fact it may have got worse. I have seen cases where even if I do hit the carriage return after a < /quote> tag, my response still gets merged with the quote.

However, my reason for digging up this old topic is that, I have also recently tried sending attached files to Nabble and whereas the HTML part shows something like:

yahoouk.ins (436 bytes) Download Attachment
plusnet.ins (392 bytes) Download Attachment

All mention of the attached files is dropped from the plain text part of the mail. Can the file name, file size and URL of the stored file be added to the plain text part of emails, please.

While working on this could you also attend to this message:
http://support.nabble.com/Subscriber-Module-tp7581185p7581255.html

And Peter's comment in this topic " It reminds me of old times plain-text communication. :-) " is so right! Some of us actually like not being at risk of viruses transmitted through HTML mail and the compact size of downloads on expensive mobile connections. It is why I am one of the development team at nPOPuk! Long live Luddites! :-)

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

GregChapman
A programmer colleagues at nPOPuk (I just work the documentation) has mailed these comments to me:
You might mention that the best rendering of a link in plain-text is

text of link (if different than the link itself) <link itself>
I responded that it normally does appear like that when someone inserts a link within the body of a post via the forum. The footer for plain text mail will not have different "text of link", so is fine as it stands.

=====
EDIT:
 I've just seen a message that looked like this:
This is just a test, folks. The attached file is absolutely worthless! So I
used a real small one.

http://npopuk-forum.986084.n3.nabble.com/file/n4022630/helloworld.txt
helloworld.txt
So it does seem that not all messages are rendered in the conventional way!
=====
Also, regarding the subscriber module, you referred to a message mentioning that the lines like

To start a new topic under Developers, email ml-node+s986084n2276484h64@n3.nabble.com

didn't appear... but your message just now conained such.
To which I responded, I still get a blank line where the "To start a new topic" line should appear.

I then made a suggestion that it was because I was the creator of the forum. Both of us are "Administrators" at the nPOPuk forum. However, I now realise that I have seen it when a creator of a forum on the n6 server. Checking further, it seems I don't get the line on any of the forums for which I am creator and are hosted on the n3 server, but I do get the line on an n3 forum where I am not an administrator. Hope that info helps you track down the bug.

He continued:
However, it should be noted that such a line would be better expressed as a mailto: URL.
That is a good point. I said, I'll point out that a good plain text mail program (like nPOPuk :-) )  makes such text clickable, as it does with a full URL. (Don't you just hate people who fail to enter the "http://" bit!)

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Greg,

(1) We have fixed the quote bug you described. So the response shouldn't get rendered as part of the quote anymore. Please test that and let us know if you still see issues.

(2) Now attachments are listed in TEXT emails.  You may also try that and let us know what you think.

(3) We changed the link format to the one you described: anchor text <link>.

(4) The "To start a new topic" line is sent with the email only when two conditions are met:  the user must be subscribed to that app and the user has permission to create a new topic in that app. Are you sure you are subscribed to the app? If yes, any chance the permission was incorrect? If you still can't find the answer, please post the link here and I will take a look.

Please let us know if you have questions, comments or concerns.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

GregChapman
Many thanks for this work.

I'll report any issues (if there are any) in due course.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
(4) The "To start a new topic" line is sent with the email only when two conditions are met:  the user must be subscribed to that app and the user has permission to create a new topic in that app. Are you sure you are subscribed to the app? If yes, any chance the permission was incorrect? If you still can't find the answer, please post the link here and I will take a look.
I skipped over this one before and it certainly isn't working for me. Here's a typical footer:

In case it is relevant, you should be aware that these mails are sent to the "Developers" sub-forum of a Mixed application where I have "Smart application pages" set and permissions set to hide that sub-forum from those who are not members of the "Developers" group.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Pedro
Greg, you are receiving these messages because you've checked "Alert me by email when someone posts to this thread " when you created your topic and you are subscribed in that sub app.
Please, try to create a new topic without check that option and let me know if it's everything ok.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Hugo <Nabble>
Greg, let me try to explain this a bit better. The system searches for subscriptions bottom-up. To understand this, let's consider the creation of a new post. After the post is created, the system will check who is subscribed to that topic and send the notifications to those people. After that, it will check the parent app and look for subscriptions that should receive that post. It keeps going up like that until it reaches the root node. Since you selected the "Alert me by email when someone posts to this thread" checkbox (which subscribes the user to the topic), that subscription will be found first. Now let's have a look at the macro that prints the "To start a new topic..." line:
<macro name="start_new_topic_line" parameters="append" requires="subscription">
	<n.set_local_subscription.this_subscription/>
	<n.if.both condition1="[n.local_subscription.node.is_app/]" condition2="[n.local_subscription.user.can_reply_to.local_subscription.node/]">
		<then>
			<t>To start a new topic under <t.location.local_subscription.node.subject/>, email <t.p2.local_subscription.node.user_address email="[n.local_subscription.user.user_email/]"/></t> <n.hide_null.append/>
		</then>
	</n.if.both>
</macro>
See the if-statement in the third line. It fails for topic subscriptions (because the subscription node is not an app, it is a topic/post). If you want to have that line displayed in all emails, you can remove that if-statement and it will work. Please let me know if you have questions, comments or concerns.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

GregChapman
Hi Hugo,

Thanks for the further explanation, but I think that the answer to the problem may be in another macro.

I say this because the topic I took the footer I quoted from, is the "Another attached file test" started by my colleague Glenn. I contributed two posts to the topic, both of which I posted via my email client. (as can be seen by the leading ">" style of quoting and my mail clients added sig, in addition to the Nabble added signature). I went nowhere near forum to select the "Alert me by email when someone posts to this thread".

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Pedro
I've made a few tests and didn't receive the same message. I'll keep investigating.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Hugo wrote
Are you sure you are subscribed to the app?
Greg, you are not subscribed to the app.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

I am subscribed to the top level app and that always means you receive mail from all sub-apps.

As I pointed out, you can see from my mail program signature and leading ">" style of  quotes that I an receiving mail sent to the "Developer" sub-forum.

I guess this means that you have found the bug/oversight in the code?

EDIT: What I mean is, as subscribing to any parent app delivers the mail from all sub-apps, then I assumed this would count as subscribing to the sub-app and the missing "to post to this forum" line would appear in the message showing the appropriate sub-app mail address.

Re: feature request html -> text conversion

Hugo <Nabble>
It seems to me that the right solution here is to check if the user is somehow subscribed to the app where the topic was posted and show that line (To start a new topic under...) based on this information. So it won't matter if the user clicked or not on the "alert me when someone" checkbox. Consider this example:

My Forum
     + Announcements
     + Chit Chat

If a new topic is posted to the Chit Chat app, users subscribed to that subapp or to the root node should receive the email with a line like this:
"To start a new topic under Chit Chat, email ...."

If this makes sense, we will make this change. Please let us know what you think.
12