[cookies] Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble

[cookies] Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble

Graham Perrin
This post was updated on .
A minor observation, comparable to <http://n2.nabble.com/-tp2293614.html>.

Environment: Windows XP, Safari.

1. logout from Nabble

2. log out from Windows XP

3. log on to Windows

4. visit an embedded forum

5. login to Nabble

6. open a new tab

7. visit <http://www.nabble.com/>

8. observe another Nabble invitation to Login.

Guesses:

• not an issue with Nabble

• related to browser settings for cookies?

Re: Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble

Steve Diamond
This post was updated on .

Hi, Graham. Actually this isn't minor at all. It's extremely serious. See my recent thread for one very bad consequence. And see this other thread for a less serious one. And see my other recent thread for issues that I believe are intertwined with this. The Nabble folks have some intensive work ahead to sort out the cookies and session variables before embedded forums become practical.

I disagree with you about its not being a Nabble issue. It may be possible that different cookie settings would help, but Nabble ought to function correctly with any cookie settings that allow temporary (session) cookies.

Re: Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble

Graham Perrin
Steve Diamond wrote
… extremely serious. See my recent thread for one very bad consequence …
For the moment, I treat the topics as separate; and this topic —

> Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble

— as minor, not serious.

> Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble

might be comparable to the first post (not all replies) at <http://n2.nabble.com/-tp1042205.html>.

Re: Login at embedded Nabble may not equal login at non-embedded Nabble

Hugo (Nabble)
Hi Graham,

This happens because your browser doesn't allow third-party cookies. So Nabble can't read its cookies (from Nabble's domain) when you are visiting an embedded forum. In this case, you must login again on the embedded forum independently if you are logged in on Nabble's website. Users that don't want to login again must change their cookies configuration to always accept cookies.

Just to give you some background, this third-party cookie issue doesn't belong to Nabble. Any website that tries to create an embedded service will have to face it. Nabble has researched and developed a very efficient solution to overcome this problem and now users can visit and use an embedded forum even when third-party cookies are disabled (they must login again, as I said above, but the service works seamlessly). We don't know of any other website that has gone that far and can provide such a complete solution like ours.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

cookies and embedding

Graham Perrin
Thanks Hugo

The cookie thing should have sunk in by now, sorry!

(I reduced my security settings for a while, can't recall when I reverted to Safari defaults.)

Resolved :)