authorized users?

Ruralinfo.net
Hello,  I am using the mixed type forum where my front page shows each category with a few of the posts in that category.  With the posting permission page it seems that if I restrict new topics on the front page of my forum it will automatically restrict new topics from everyone on the category pages..

I am trying to figure out how I can allow everyone(even anonymous users) to start new topics in the individual categories, but not on the front page.

Here is the link to my message board..  Thanks for any help..  I am confused right now...

http://ruralinfo.net/classifieds.html
Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has..

Re: authorized users?

Hugo <Nabble>
All you have to do is go to your parent forum, click on "Options > Users > Who can view & post?" and select "Everyone can participate, but restricted topics". Then you have to make sure you are the only member in that parent forum (Options > Users > Who are members?). It is important to remember that the "Who can create new topics?" configuration is not inherited. So all sub-forums will still allow people to create new topics.

When you set your forum this way, people will see a list of sub-forums when they click on the "New Topic" link on the front page. So they will be forced to choose one sub-forum to post to.

Please try that and let me know if you have questions.

Re: authorized users?

Ruralinfo.net
Thanks Hugo, I changed the setting and I will see if that works..
Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has..

Re: authorized users?

Ruralinfo.net
Hugo, I am still having some trouble with this..  IF you will look a the front page of my forum, you will see the topics section on top, and then my sub forums below it.

I am having a problem with people posting in the topics section instead of choosing one of the subforums below.  Which ends up with their posts not being in the sub forum..

Basically, Is there a way to remove the topics section from the front page of my forum? They can always see that from the "Topics View"

I can repost my pinned forum topics in a new sub forum if I need to..

I changed it to "Everyone can participate but restricted topics" but then it said all of my sub forums would inherit that behavior?

I want them to be able to post in the sub forums only..  I hope this easy to understand..  And thanks for your hard work...

I tried what you posted above, then I signed out, but when I tried to post a new topic, it did not show me a list of subforums, it just showed a new post form?  Thanks...

http://ruralinfo.net/ruralmailtalk.html
Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has..

Re: authorized users?

Hugo <Nabble>
You can select "Everyone can participate but restricted topics" without problems. The "Who can create new topics" section isn't inherited. I know this isn't intuitive so we will change the UI to make this more clear. When you select this option, the topics sections won't go away. So you will have to empty that section by either moving each topic to a sub-forum or removing them. Please let me know if you need help to do this.