assigning passwords for a new member application

assigning passwords for a new member application

vames
We are setting up a couple of new forums and are testing out functionality

I have been asked the following question by one of our members that is helping to set this up and I really don't know the answer.

How do I set a password for members who are testing out the blogs? They've given me different email addresses and usernames to their aces details, and I've assigned blogs to them and permissions should be working ok, but they need a password to log in.

I've set them manually, rather than ask them to apply via nabble because the requests takes HOURS to reach me, but there is no provision for adding a password.

Any ideas?

Re: assigning passwords for a new member application

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
The user is right. We don't have a feature to allow an admin to set up an user account for a user. The user will have to register himself. Then apply to join a forum.

I think Nabble should allow this. So, I will make this into the to-do list.

Re: assigning passwords for a new member application

vames
That would be superb.
Sorry to be a pain but an idea of time scales would be good s that we can get a grip on what interim processes we might need to adopt in order to progress with our plans whilst we await the functionality.

Thanks so much

James

Re: assigning passwords for a new member application

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
I thought more about this, and this actually should just be an invite feature, right?

I imagine it works like this:

1. you are the forum owner, you go to your forum, under Options->Users there will be a Invite...
2. Clicking this goes to a page where the admin can enter an email address or user name.
3. this will send an invite email to the email address or the user, with a link that the user can click over to the forum
4. if the user has not registered yet, he will now see a UI to set a screenname and password. If he has already registered, he can go into the forum, and he will also become an authorized if the forum is a private forum.

Re: assigning passwords for a new member application

vames
I imagine it works like this:

1. you are the forum owner, you go to your forum, under Options->Users there will be a Invite...
2. Clicking this goes to a page where the admin can enter an email address or user name.
3. this will send an invite email to the email address or the user, with a link that the user can click over to the forum
4. if the user has not registered yet, he will now see a UI to set a screenname and password. If he has already registered, he can go into the forum, and he will also become an authorized if the forum is a private forum.
Yes, this would be good for all nabble forums but we would still want a manual user/password assignment facility.

Could we have the ability to manually create nabble accounts with passwords plus a hook in the form of an API or parameterised script for these processes to enable automation?

As things stand we have a less than ideal 2 stage application process. This will in the next week or so become a 3 stage process with plans to extend further 3 seperate forums it will become a 6 stage application process.

Currently
We receive an eMail to apply for membership.
We review the application and either accept, deny or put on hold. This is done through eMail
When we accept an application we then request certain details from the member that are held on file and covered under the data protection act. This again is done through eMail

We then request that the member access the forum so that we can grant them access to this area of the site. This is done through the Nabble application process

I want to streamline and automate the whole thing.

Thinking on my feet a little here.

1. you are the forum owner, you go to your forum, under Options->Users there will be a Invite...
2. Clicking this goes to a page where the admin can enter an email address or user name.
A user selects a link on our site and is presented with an ACES application form.
The appropriate details necessary are captured and when the form is submitted approriate application eMails are fired off to whoever needs them. This stage doesn't involve nabble at all.

We then have an unprocessed application awaiting attention in our Administration area.

That application will have a check box to authorise acceptance.
At that point I could hook into the API or fire off the scripts for each of the forums that we wish to provide access to and pre register the user for the forums with their privided details.

Does that make sense?

Re: assigning passwords for a new member application

vames
Any news on this?
Thanks
James

Re: assigning passwords for a new member application

vames
Is this still being considered as an option?

Re: assigning passwords for a new member application

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Yes. It's just low priority compared with a few other things we are doing. Please bear with us. I'll get back to you when we get chance to look at this.