"already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

"already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

JBWolverine
Hello Support.

Your help is needed again. (Thanks)

I received the following from a person trying to sign up for our private forum:

"JB, I'm still not getting the confirmation email from Nabble.  When I logged on to the confirmation site you sent me I got the message "already subscribed to $Micromem"  But each time I go back to login (carefully) with my email and password I get the message "incorrect login".  When I started to register again with another email address I was told that my username was already taken, which means that Nabble has my information in some way.  I then decided not to continue trying to register with my other email because that would only add to the confusion.  I checked out Nabble support and saw that others never got a confirmation from Nabble.  Perhaps you could forward this note to Nabble support.
    Thanks,
          Wes"

I recommended he check for a spam blocker turned on for his yahoo email service that prevented the Nabble email from getting through to him.

Since he is "already subscribed" to Nabble, can he use both another member name (alias) and email address to register again to Nabble?  I suppose there is a cookie or something on his PC that would prevent him from doing a second registration.

Anything else that can be done?

TIA

--JB

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks for the message. Something is wrong with this description.
What is the "confirmation site" you sent to that user?
If he can see the message "already subscribed", then he must be registered somehow (anonymous users cannot subscribe). So either you sent him a wrong confirmation page (maybe the right page for your user, not for him) or he is already registered and subscribed.
Maybe you can send me [hidden email] his address so that I can look at the database and check if he is registered or not. In any case, he can try to register again with a different user name and email.

You can also send him the link to your forum. If your forum is private and he can access it, then he must be registered.

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

JBWolverine
I have emailed the requested information.

For this problem, I think another "authorization requested" email needs to be generated to me, so I can approve his access.

I have no idea what happened to his registration email... but I can validate that his email address (used in the correspondance) is legitimate.

Thanks

--JB

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

Hugo <Nabble>
I received the email, thanks. I can see that that user is not registered:
http://n2.nabble.com/user/UserRootNodes.jtp?user=287817

But I checked your forum and he is a subscriber (Nabble allows an unregistered user to subscribe to a forum). The thing is that he must register if he wants to visit the private forum. So we have to solve this first. Do you know if he tried to register in the last days? We moved our servers from Windows to Linux last week and this might have caused the problem. Could you ask him to try just one more time?

After his registration is finished, you can add him as a member of your forum by clicking on "Options > Users > Who are members?". There is no need for an authorization request here (unless he tries to visit your forum before you add him to the list).

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

JBWolverine
"Could you ask him to try just one more time?"

Yes, I will.

Thanks for the help and guidence.

--JB

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

JBWolverine
I noticed "wesbingham" is now on my subscribers list.  I added his email address to the "add user" window for "who are members" and now he shows up on the list as a member.

However, his description as a member shows: wesbingham Unregistered User.

Since he is now a member, does that mean he can access the private forum (even though he is not registered)?

"Wesbingham" is still on the subscriber list.  I assume I should not "unsubscribe" him, correct?

I am not sure what needs to be done now to resolve this problem.

--JB (aka "confused bigtime")

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

JBWolverine
The member in question successfully added himself as a brand new member ("Gum") with a different email address. I just approved his "authorization requested" email.

This makes his original member name ("wesbingham") unneeded. How would I delete it or should I just leave it as an "unregistered user"?

Note: Earlier today I noticed "wesbingham" is on my subscribers list.  So I added his email address to the "add user" window for "who are members" and now he shows up on the list as a member.

However, his description as a member shows: wesbingham Unregistered User.

"Wesbingham" is still on the subscriber list.  I assume I should not "unsubscribe" him, correct?

I am not sure what needs to be done now to resolve this problem/cleanup.

--JB (aka "confused bigtime")

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

JBWolverine
FYI-- The message above got "hung up" when I posted it. By the time I was able to resubmit it, the "authorization requested" email (with a new member name) arrived from the person.  I modified the original message with the new information and re-posted it.

--JB

Re: "already subscribed" to Nabble private forum

If the user could register with a different email, then he should visit the forum with that new account. The other account was in your subscriber's list because you sent an invitation to him and he accepted it. So he was receiving posts via emails and he was also able to reply to them (i.e., replies go to the forum page).

Maybe you should let the user decide if he wants to stay subscribed or not. He has control over it and you shouldn't worry. Just check with him that he can visit the forum, post messages and receive notifications by email.