Why does the Page shift.

harkawy

When we first enter the forum, we see...

I can then scroll up to display...

Is there any way to get the forum to show the top without the need to scroll?

Re: Why does the Page shift.

GregChapman
I think you're you're seeing the expected effect. See:
http://n4.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=48
Many administrators dislike the default scrolling effect at first, but if you have a very deep site banner/menu at the top of the page and users who are likely to bookmark your forum page rather than your home page, then they will find the feature extremely useful as it saves them having to scroll manually each time they visit the page in order to reach the stuff they really want to see.

On a new forum it can be difficult to see the intended effect if it only has a few posts. As you appear to have a very deep graphic in your forum "name/description" area then again a lot of the benefit of the effect will also probably be lost. To see the effect at its best I would try moving the graphic from your forum to the main site and replace it with just a line or two of text.

Of course, you may still not like it. On most of my sites the "header" area of my pages is quite shallow and I only keep the feature on a few of my sites.

Re: Why does the Page shift.

harkawy
Thank you again.
Your insights are most helpful.
The deep graphic as you call it is going to be an animated gif file with links to various paid advertisers. So we don't want it to disappear.

We will consider the site adjustments as you pointed out in the link.

Re: Why does the Page shift.

GregChapman
Personally, regardless of your decision on whether to scroll or not, I'd still place the animated GIF on the main site above the forum and leave the forum's description field blank. That way you get all the forum navigation and control links close together which I think would improve usability.

As it is I feel the advert graphic separates the essential "Breadcrumb links", that show where you are in the sub-forum structure, and "Refresh Permalink Login Register" links from all the other links that a user needs to search the forum, create new topics, control the view of the forum, see lists of other members and subscription and other options.

(Mind you, if you were bold enough, you could edit the NAML so the top row of links displays under the name/description area rather than above, as it does by default.)

Re: Why does the Page shift.

harkawy
Thank you once again, Greg.
I am bold..... But NOT THAT bold.
My boldness crashed three attempts that locked me out and screwed up a months worth of effort.
I have learned to "Leave well enough alone"!