Why cant the owner of a forum modify or edit other member's posts

Why cant the owner of a forum modify or edit other member's posts

Dr Shaun Hutchinson
I am a modurator on another forum which uses vbulletin, and there I have the ability to modify posts that may be considered spam, etc. Why can't the owner modify or edit the posts of members belonging to their forum? I see there is only an option to delete a post permanently.
Dr Shaun Hutchinson
Free Business Advertising Forum

Editing other user's content

Graham Perrin
Please see <http://n2.nabble.com/-tp1692207p1692344.html>.

> only an option to delete a post permanently

You should also find an option to remove items from the forum.

Regards
Graham

Re: Why cant the owner of a forum modify or edit other member's posts

Franklin <Nabble>
Why would you want to modify spam?  Why not just remove it?

Re: Why cant the owner of a forum modify or edit other member's posts

Dr Shaun Hutchinson
Well I don't neccessarily want to modify spam, but I do have users that post valuable post, but they may have typo's or spelling mistakes. I may also want to edit a post for better SEO.

Spam posts I just delete.

Can this not be an option that can be intergrated into the nabble forums?
Dr Shaun Hutchinson
Free Business Advertising Forum

Re: Why cant the owner of a forum modify or edit other member's posts

Franklin <Nabble>
Administrator
The problem is that the post is the work of the author and he may not approve of the changes that the forum owner wants to make.  I understand that most forum software like vbulletin allows this.  But the downside of giving the forum owner total control is that sometimes forum owners go nuts and ruin the forum and then all of the work done by contributors is lost.  I have seen this happen.  I have thought about how to satisfy everyone and I think the best answer is to keep track of edits as is done on a wiki page and then allow the forum owner to modify posts but also allow the author to revert these edits.  So this is the plan.  For now, you could send the author a message requesting that he apply your edit.

edition by author, suggested edition by others

Graham Perrin
Thanks.

I agree strongly that an author's work should not be edited by anyone other than the author.

To highlight areas of text that might be edited, you can use a service such as Diigo; and make your highlights and suggestions visible to the author alone, or to the public if you prefer.

Re: edition by author, suggested edition by others

Graham Perrin
Graham Perrin wrote
Example: <http://www.diigo.com/06jvo>