Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

i8n

Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

i8n
Hugo

I'm not sure what has happened, but some of our recent topics on "http://n2.nabble.com/Greyhound-Rescue-North-East-f3561393ef3561393.html" have suddenly been scheduled for deletion.

Could you clarify the situation here please?  We don't want any of the topics/posts/threads on the above forum to be deleted and it is worrying some of our users.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Graham Perrin
I just read a similar notice.

Very worrying!

The seven day countdown is far too short. A warning should be delivered at least one month before any deletion, with repeat warnings one week and one day before.

More importantly: I hate the idea of system-generated deletion. It goes very, very strongly against many of the reasons that I chose to use Nabble.

Suggestions:

* the system should never delete users' content automatically

* it might be more palatable to have the system simply draw attention to things that may be inactive.

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Field Engineering Mod
Same problem here. I need all posts to remain available, even if inactive, so users can see whether their question has been asked before. This is very worrisome, to say the least. I can't be going through every day and clicking "don't delete" on that day's round of old posts.
Besides which, I received an email threatening to delete my forum due to inactivity, but the last post was less than a week ago.

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

mini76
I to find this unacceptable, Or is this a glitch too?.
To play is to win.
Fee

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Fee
I am not very happy about this unless there is a good explanation.  My members are quite concerned about it.  One post scheduled for deletion was only posted recently - the user has saved it but we don't understand why you are going to delete our posts.
Actually we would rather do it ourselves if need be.

Can we have an explanation please?

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Cath-2
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Hugo <Nabble>
Here is a help article that explains this process:
http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=53
Cath wrote
1. the email heading needs to be amended. Your forum is about to be deleted is not as accurate as some redundant threads are about to be deleted. It's also very scary to read and people are panic-ing (like I did this morning)

2. if someone deletes their post in the middle of a long thread it doesn't seem right that all the info that comes after is also gone. Would it be possible to just have a placeholder saying XXX removed their post and leave everything else intact?
Thanks for the feedback. We are discussing this internally.
Fee

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Fee
I've just read that Cath, further down the page.

Trouble is that one of my members has had to save a thread, that is most definitely still on our forum.  It's not been previously deleted.

The ones that were in my email have all been deleted from my forum so I am happy for them to be deleted from wherever they are now.
But ones that are still in my forum shouldn't be deleted should they?

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Fee,
Fee wrote
Trouble is that one of my members has had to save a thread, that is most definitely still on our forum.  It's not been previously deleted.
Please post here the link to this thread. This shouldn't happen.
Fee wrote
The ones that were in my email have all been deleted from my forum so I am happy for them to be deleted from wherever they are now.
That's the intention. There are millions of orphan messages in our database that people can't find because they are not part of any forum.
Fee wrote
But ones that are still in my forum shouldn't be deleted should they?
They should not be deleted. This is why we need the link to investigate what happened.

Thanks for the feedback.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Hugo <Nabble>
If you are talking about a few messages, we can move them back to the topic manually. We are still discussing what to do when users delete their accounts (i.e., whether or not to use a placeholder inside topics). But whatever the decision is, the solution to your (already removed) messages is to put them back manually.

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Here is an article that explains the process:
http://n2.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=53

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Franklin <Nabble>
Cath wrote
1. the email heading needs to be amended. Your forum is about to be deleted is not as accurate as some redundant threads are about to be deleted. It's also very scary to read and people are panic-ing (like I did this morning)
We have improved this email.

Some forums simply don't allow users to remove posts, so users edit posts to delete the content.  We could do that but that still doesn't address moderators removing posts.  We will allow moderators to edit posts when we have wiki features in place, so then this will solve this issue.  But this is a few months off.

CONTENTS DELETED

Administrator
After saving your comment, you could add it back to the forum by using "Move post and replies to.." and setting the parent to the forum or even to wherever it belongs in a thread.  Would this work as a short term solution?  If this works, we could add an explanation about this.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Franklin <Nabble>
Administrator
Cath wrote
I tried to move it to http://www.greyhoundrescue.net/?page_id=478 but it wouldn't move as the link is not a nabble link (it's an embedded forum).
Try moving it to the permalink which is:

http://n2.nabble.com/Greyhound-Rescue-North-East-f3561393ef3561393.html

Re: Why are Certain Forums and Topics suddenly scheduled for deletion?

Cath-2
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

garbage collection — too aggressive

Graham Perrin
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Here is an article that explains the process:
http://n2.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=53
The intention is great, but the implementation doesn't feel good.

Re <http://n2.nabble.com/-tp4131246p4131518.html> it would be far better to have the process draw attention to things that seem to be inactive — not delete them, unless the author expressly agrees.

Seven days is far, far too aggressive.

TIA for consideration

Re: garbage collection — too aggressive

Franklin <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback.  If 7 days is too short, what do you recommend?  People are generally passive, so if we wait for people to expressly agree before deleting stuff, we will never delete anything.  The idea is to delete stuff that people no longer care about.
1234