Welcome message

Graham Perrin
As an administrator of the sandpit forum, I opted to add a new topic.

This topic will be a welcome message…

Pinned but not locked

Graham Perrin
I then pinned the topic, to the forum. To the sandpit.

There's no option to lock the topic.

My initial reaction to the absence of locks:

• other than administrators, no-one should add or edit around the top of my forum
• motivation for disallowance: I want things to be clean and clear.

Afterthoughts, I positively like the absence of the lock on this topic:

a) Nabble makes it easy to move any reply

b) Nabble makes it easy to remove any reply

c) Nabble makes it easy to ban any user

et cetera. In practice:

• action (a) may be common, but not for long
• actions (b) and (c) will be rare.

Positive administration of forums: allowances lead to happiness

Think: if someone replies to this topic, it's because what they seek is not clearly visible and understandable.

It's my job, as administrator of the forum, to make my forum clear and understandable.

If someone creates a reply that doesn't belong with this topic, I do any one of the following, with ease:

• move their post to the appropriate topic
• move their post to the appropriate sub-forum
• move the appropriate topic or sub-forum to a place that's more obvious
• pin an item
• create a new topic
• exceptionally, rarely, create a new sub-forum (but never overdo sub-forums).

Ultimately, I might decide to change the application type for a forum or sub-forum. I can choose any one of six:
[ ] Forum
    — page with topics and discussions
[ ] Category
    — page with a simple list of sub-applications and discussions
[ ] Board
    — page that groups sub-applications and discussions
[ ] Gallery
    — photo and image gallery
[ ] Blog
    — page with blog entries and related comments
[ ] News
    — page with headlines and posts
In practice: changes of type should be rare. Avoid changing the appearance of content; users who are familiar with a previous appearance will be confused by the new.

The stray pin effect: NOT expecting to see this low-level topic at the highest level

Graham Perrin