Using Nabble Forum and a Mailing list

nomad11
Hello

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I have a few queries about using nabble forum with a mailman mailing list:

i) I would like the option of my subscribers to either post to to the mailman list via their email client or through nabble's web interface/forum - is this how nabble can work?

ii) If users have subscribed to the mailman list, and they want to reply via nabble, will they need to also need to subscribe to the nabble forum? If so, how will a user be synched? And
for mailman subscription, a user doesn't need a password to post a message

iii) If a subscriber posts a new topic via their email client to mailman list, is this topic created on the nabble forum?

thanks

Re: Using Nabble Forum and a Mailing list

Peter <Nabble>
Hi.

i) Yes.

ii) When they subscribe their e-mail will be associated to what he sent and what he will send from that moment on. I'm not quite sure if I understand your question so I'm not sure if I answered it.

iii) Yes, automatically. It may not be instantly because the e-mail may take a while to be received (like every e-mail), but yes.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Using Nabble Forum and a Mailing list

nomad11
Peter <Nabble> wrote
ii) When they subscribe their e-mail will be associated to what he sent and what he will send from that moment on. I'm not quite sure if I understand your question so I'm not sure if I answered it.
Thanks for the response.
Sorry I should have been clearer for question (ii).

When using mailman, a user can subscribe directly to the list via email and also then post to the list via their email client. It's not necessary to have a password.

Now when a user who is already subscribed to mailman posts a message via their email client to mailman, their message will appear on the forum. But how does it work if this user then also posts or replies on the forum directly, will they need to register on the forum and be supplied with a password, that is, what is their login?

If they do need to register & login, how does nabble know that they are the same user whose messages already exist on the forum via their mailman posts?

I hope that makes better sense.

thanks

Re: Using Nabble Forum and a Mailing list

nomad11 wrote
ii) If users have subscribed to the mailman list, and they want to reply via nabble, will they need to also need to subscribe to the nabble forum? If so, how will a user be synched? And
for mailman subscription, a user doesn't need a password to post a message
If an existing mailman list subscriber wants to post via the Nabble forum that you have created as a mail list archive (for effectively, it is a forum you've created, with a few extras that tie it to your mail list), they will have to register as a Nabble forum user.

The registration process follows forum conventions. They will need to supply a email address and password. That address will be sent an auto-generated mail, containing a link that must be visited to confirm registration. The password is required when logging in (with the username they created on registration - which is linked to both the address and the password) to prove they are the authorised user of that email address.

Anything posted at Nabble will be forwarded to the Mailman list using the address that's been registered at Nabble, hence a person's posts, whether posted by an email client, by Nabble or any other web-based mail service appear to mailman as a post by that subscriber. Synchronisation, doesn't really come into it. To the Mailman server it's just a post coming from a subscriber. It doesn't worry how the post was generated as long as it purports to come from a subscriber's address, it will be forwarded to the other subscribers.

Indeed, the usual question on these forums is the reverse of yours - A person may discover a mail list archived at Nabble, registers and posts to it, only to have the posts rejected, because they have NOT subscribed to the list itself. The Nabble software does not magically subscribe addresses to any mail list. That needs to be done in the appropriate way for the mail list concerned.