"Users" doesn't show

weasy
For whatever reason, when I started a new forum on Nabble, the users won't show in the right hand column. Is there a setting to see who is online or to turn the users feature on?

Re: "Users" doesn't show

GregChapman
What application are you using - the default columns all vary, and what setting do you have under:
Options > Application  > Change appearance > Preferences > Page Layout
This too can change what columns display.

EDIT: And I should have added whether you are on "Topics View" or "Main Page" will also alter the columns displayed.

Re: "Users" doesn't show

weasy
Hey Greg, I am using the "wide" page layout with the newspaper application. I have seen the "users" area appear under the newspaper application before, but why it isn't now I haven't a clue.

Re: "Users" doesn't show

GregChapman
With the "Wide" option set you will have the sidebar showing, with the items "New Post", "Options", "views" and "feeds" in place. under which maybe the "Subcategories" and "Archives" sections showing but the "People"  section, which used to be above those last two has disappeared?

That means you have gone to:
Options > Users > Change permissions
and removed the permission "Show_group_members" from all available groups.

Re: "Users" doesn't show

weasy
Exactly!

I have reinstated that permission to all groups, but still it doesn't show. I wonder if it's because no one has officially registered. I still feel that shouldn't matter though, but correct me if I am wrong.

Re: "Users" doesn't show

GregChapman
That's it. The People link/area on the sidebar contains links to a user's Profile page, but without registration there is no profile to display.

The main reason for wanting to see a user's profile is to send them an email, but without registration there is no address stored for them. Admins will see a few more details on a user's profile page but, again, all those details only appear once a user has registered.

Also, to appear on the People list a user must have posted. To prevent spamming almost all admins will set permissions so only registered users can post, so what you observe is rarely a problem.