Users, Groups and Permissions

Posted by Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>
IMPORTANT: If you use permissions, you will have to set them up again.  The old members and administrators were converted to temporary groups and the old permissions were not converted at all.  So you should reorganize your groups and then set permissions in your app (e.g., forum, blog, gallery).

Nabble has improved how users, groups and permissions work. Here is a summary:

(1) Now you can create as many user groups as you want. All apps come with four default groups:

    Anyone: All users belong to this group, including unregistered users.
    Authenticated: Users whose email is available in the database. Basically, registered users and people who posted to mailing lists (archives only).
    Members: Default group. You should define the permissions for this group.
    Administrators: Users with special privileges that can control your application.

(2) For each user, you can select which groups he/she participates. This option is available in the user profile page:

(3) You can organize groups and users by clicking on "Options > Users > Manage users & groups". Each group has a textarea with users and you can add and remove them according to your goals. To remove a group, just remove all users from it and save the changes ("members" and "administrators" are fixed groups and thus cannot be removed).

(4) You can configure what each group can do by clicking on "Options > Users > Change permissions". You can override these settings in subcategories (e.g., sub-forums).

87 Comments

Harvey Harvey

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

It looks to me like our interface has not changed to reflect this new functionality yet. (Under options things still look the same). Will changes be phased in? Or maybe it's a caching thing?
HTTPS Please!
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Only the n2 server has this release. All other servers will have it very soon.
Daft Daft

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

I really like steak.
Daft
pdiddyfan pdiddyfan

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

So I guess everyone is denied access??
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

[false alarm] previously private content now public and cached by Google

This post was updated on .
> permissions were not converted

AFAICT things that were previously private (not visible to the public) are now visible to the public AND cached by Google. :-(

Were people given any advance notice of the change?
Franklin <Nabble> Franklin <Nabble>

Re: previously private content now public and cached by Google

Graham Perrin wrote
> permissions were not converted

AFAICT things that were previously private (not visible to the public) are now visible to the public AND cached by Google. :-(
No, this shouldn't happen.  Forums that were previously private should remain private, but only the site owner has permission to view these forums until he gives others permission.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

Are administrators, and are owners, implicitly members?

Are administrators, and are owners, implicitly members?

In other words: for owners and administrators to add and reply to topics, should I check more boxes?
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

Are members implicitly authenticated?

Are members implicitly authenticated?

Or, are members treated as authenticated only if they used Nabble to post to the list?
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

harvesting of e-mail addresses from archives of lists

> Authenticated: Users whose email is available

It seems wrong to reveal the e-mail addresses of all posters in the management interface.
Harvey Harvey

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

I should have had more patience :) it is in place this morning.

I'm assuming only admins see the red notice?

Question ... while you can check multiple boxes in the permissions checklist I would assume that checks to the left are cummulative. When you check "ANYONE" is the same as checking every box.

Any nuance or difference to that?

HTTPS Please!
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

an example of a sub-forum that's OK (still private)

Franklin <Nabble> wrote
Forums that were previously private should remain private
<http://diigo-test.1596203.n2.nabble.com/template/TplServlet.jtp?tpl=change_permissions&node=1596685> looks OK. There's a custom permission (not made by me using the new interface):

It's a sub-forum elsewhere that's unexpectedly public …
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

false alarm - apologies

False alarm. Very sorry!

<http://freeman-centre.1486342.n2.nabble.com/template/TplServlet.jtp?tpl=user_nodes&user=162630> (the My posts view) gives me a clearer view of things:

(My recollection of a restricted area, from a year or so ago, was that it was private. Not so; I made only some of its contents private.)

Please move this thread <http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Users-Groups-and-Permissions-tp5568913p5569667.html> to the resolved area <http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Resolved-f2257895.html>.

Apologies for any confusion.

Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

pdiddyfan wrote
everyone is denied access??
In the screen shot under point (4) above, the defaults show that:

* anyone can view
* anyone can create a topic
* anyone can reply to an existing topic.
Harvey Harvey

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

More questions...

When will the red notice go away? Seems like all users can see it and are asking about it. Anyway to limit it to admins or just change to Permissions?

Is there a way to delete the old groups listed in the group window?

I was hoping that authors could change there own post dates in the newspaper without me making them an admin, but that doesn't seem to work. Am I correct?

Also I have two applications - forum and newspaper.  If I copy and paste the entire list of authenticated users from the forum to the newspaper will they automatically registered for the newspaper with the same password? THAT would be WAY COOL! (Please say yes!).

:)
HTTPS Please!
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

owner can not assign to members of a workgroup

At <http://osaf-selected-lists.3138168.n2.nabble.com/template/TplServlet.jtp?tpl=change_permissions&node=3138168> for Assignment I have selected Members, plus four old groups of members:

Problem

At <http://osaf-selected-lists.3138168.n2.nabble.com/template/TplServlet.jtp?tpl=edit_post&node=5570192> in a sub-forum where permissions for assignment are inherited, there is option to assign.
Re-run Re-run

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

This change seems to have removed any admin controls I had. I can no longer move posts or delete anything. In short, all the admin controls I had before, no longer work. I can't change permissions or anything at this point.
John Yeoman John Yeoman

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

PLEASE remove the Permissions Changes notice at top of the forums! ALL users can see it. When they click on it, they are thrown out of the page and into the Nabble Support forum. This is not helpful.

By all means, let Admins see it. (Whether we can understand it, or have the patience to master yet another mind-twisting procedural shift, after everyone's avatars went AWOL just last month, is another matter.) But, please, not every visitor!

Please, Hugo?
Harvey Harvey

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

I would like to add: PRETTY PLEASE>
HTTPS Please!
SteveM SteveM

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

John Yeoman wrote
PLEASE remove the Permissions Changes notice at top of the forums! ALL users can see it. When they click on it, they are thrown out of the page and into the Nabble Support forum. This is not helpful.

By all means, let Admins see it. (Whether we can understand it, or have the patience to master yet another mind-twisting procedural shift, after everyone's avatars went AWOL just last month, is another matter.) But, please, not every visitor!

Please, Hugo?
Absolutely ridiculous to foist this new code on everyone with no warning or testing. This site is going from bad to worse. Thanks for nothing, nabble.
SK SK

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

TY TY TY TY TYVM, our poker forums where over-run with a few individuals that thought it was fun to post SICK pics in our upcomming game threads, we used to be able to delete em, but that changed, TY TY TY
12345