Username Not Allowed

Zandranna
Not sure I can explain this without it sounding confusing.

Myself and 2 friends yesterday all created separate forums, so let's call us A, B and C

A joint friend of ours (let's call her D) today tried to register with each of A, B and C's forums.

When D registered on A's she used the name LadyJane

D then went to B's and tried to register with the same name, same email.  This forum told her that, that username was already taken. (positively not so - not in a registered name or in a guest name).  So D then chose the name JanetheBrain.

D then went to C's forum tried to register in LadyJane, was told the name was in use.  She then tried to register in the name of JanetheBrain.  Once again was told that was in use.  Finally chose the name of Janie.

So...........

On A's forum she is Ladyjane
On B's forum she is JanetheBrain
On C's forum she is Janie

D then gave me her password to into my forum (C) so that I could log in as her.  This is did.  I then went into personal settings and tried to change the name Janie to LadyJane.  It said that name was taken.  I then tried the name Lady Jane (with a gap).  That worked.

I then used D's password and email to log into my friend B's forum.  I then went into the settings and changed the name JanetheBrain to Lady Jane (with a gap) and that also worked.

Now the point is, that the name LadyJane hadn't been used on any of the forums yet my friend was only able to register with that on A's forum.   From then on each forum she went to she had to create a totally new username for each.

Surely this shouldn't have happened.  Our forums are local aren't they.  There isn't such things as global usernames??

Re: Username Not Allowed

Omar
Hello Zandranna,
Yes, this is true.
If you would click your username in the upper right corner, then click "My personal Settings", then "Edit Personal Information", it clearly states your username must be unique among Nabble users.

From an individual point of view, global names make sense - as long as the system was sure its the same person. Which I guess would only be possible if they all used the same email account. So maybe there is room to optimize this.

At present, maybe the Nabble team  could make this change for you if you post to the premium support forum.

Re: Username Not Allowed

Zandranna
Thanks for your reply Omar, but I don't understand the answer.

Are you saying that one's username must be unique to Nabble, as in a global username, but at the same time one must register separately on every forum as well??

If so then I can understand that.

What I can't understand is that my friend was able to obtain the "global" name of LadyJane when registering on the first forum, But when she went to register on the 2nd and 3rd forums, she had to choose totally different names on those as well.  Giving her 3 forums she registered at all with different usernames.

If the global name of LadyJane was hers, why couldn't she use it on the other forums.

The rest of us have been able to register on many forums using the same username.

Re: Username Not Allowed

Omar
Thats funny.

You're right!
I tested it before and couldn't do it. Just tested it again (by creating a new forum) and it seems I can use the same name on different forums...

Im going to try and figure out what I did differently and get back to you later today.

Re: Username Not Allowed

mywaytoo
I think it is connected to email address, but that's as far as I can go...
Anne

Re: Username Not Allowed

Zandranna
She used the same email address on all.  If she had used a different one/s I would have understood but she didn't.   It's a real puzzle.

Re: Username Not Allowed

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Zandranna, Nabble doesn't have global user names anymore. We had this in the past, but now user names are local to the app tree. For example, if you have a forum A and three sub-forums A1, A2 and A3, names are unique in this tree structure. But if you have another independent forum B that is not related to A, then you can have the same user names from A without problems. So if you are sure that your forums are not related, then first you can look at the "People" page and see who is using the names you want for your user. If you don't see anyone using that name and the system continue to complain that the name is taken, please post a link to your apps and I will take a closer look. Thanks.

Re: Username Not Allowed

Zandranna
Absolutely sure that no one else has that name (LadyJane) on any of our separate forums.

All the forums are so new that we each literally have about 4 to 5 members each so far and each member at the moment is one of us.

There is going to be a problem in as much we have these forums embedded into our Yuku profiles.  Yuku profiles aren't open to non-Yuku members as they are still in the beta stage.

I can take mine off anyone being redirected to the embedded area so that you could take a look at mine, but I would have to ask permission of the other lady if she minded me altering hers as well for a while (I am admin on the other one that wouldn't accept LadyJane).

The username that my friend tried to register with on my board was LadyJane - she ended up registering with Janie, but I then went in the settings in her name and although it refused LadyJane still, it did allow Lady Jane with a gap.

 This is the url  http://coffee-break.994587.n3.nabble.com/

Thank you for your time on this.

Re: Username Not Allowed

Hugo <Nabble>
I guess I understand what happened. When a user registers to a forum (or any other Nabble app), we lock the provided user name and send an email to that user with an activation link. The registration expires after 7 days. So the user must click on the activation link within that period. I believe someone registered with that user name and didn't click on the activation link (maybe because the provided email was wrong, among other reasons). So the user could not register again with the same name because the first registration was still pending. I just checked the database and there is nothing that could prevent a user from setting "LadyJane" as user name at this point. You may try to set that name now and let me know if you still have issues.

Re: Username Not Allowed

Zandranna
Thanks for your reply.

One of my first questions I asked her was, did you activate the emails and she said, yes instantly.

But from what you are saying, I am wondering if because we are all friends she went from one forum to the other registering before going into her email box and clicking to activate all 3 mails at the same time.

That would certainly make sense of the problem.

Having said that I am still unable, by logging in as her, to change her username to LadyJane.  It is still saying that name is not available.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Re: Username Not Allowed

mywaytoo
http://coffee-break.994587.n3.nabble.com/If-You-Have-Trouble-Registering-tp2603513p2603513.html

It seems to me that you are allowing guests to actually post on your forum... it might be an idea to only allow postings to be made by members and let guests only 'read' posts on the forum. This is all possible to set up by admin under permissions.
Anne

Re: Username Not Allowed

Zandranna
I am now contemplating doing that as it does seem that problems are arising by allowing guest postings.

Sadly though guest posting is one of my favourite features.

Thank you all that have jumped in here to help.

Re: Username Not Allowed

mywaytoo
Change it temporarily until they have had time to investigate the issues...
Anne

Re: Username Not Allowed

Zandranna
I will, thank you.