User accidently posted full data of 4 credit cards

User accidently posted full data of 4 credit cards

Ethernut
Sorry for lying in the subject. It's not that alarming, but could have been.

After searching through forums and help pages for an hour, I cannot find a solution to my problem.

I'm the owner of a mailing list and some time ago a subscriber carelessly posted personal data. The author is no longer reachable. How to remove this post and a reply, which quotes the original?

Btw. I'm just thinking about the possibility that someone posts credit card data to a mailing list by accident. Shouldn't there be an emergency mechanism that allows to remove such posts immediately? Without having to search through endless forum posts or help pages without success?

Best regards,

Harald Kipp

Removing and deleting posts

Graham Perrin
1. In a forum that you administer: you can remove (but not delete) another user's post. Use the More menu.

2. Beyond removal: if you want the poster to delete their message, you can contact them.

3. If the poster is not contactable: I guess that you should address Nabble Support, with relevant details.

4. If the post was to a list, you can contact the list administrator.

Regards
Graham

Re: Removing and deleting posts

Ethernut
Many thanks for your help, Graham. Though I have the feeling that you didn't read my post in detail.

1. As I wrote, this is about a mailing list.

2. As I wrote, I'm not able to contact the poster.

3. I thought this forum would be the best way to contact them. Obviously I'm wrong here.

4. As I wrote, I'm the list administrator.

I removed it from our mailing list archive and I really spent a lot of time getting it removed from Nabble and Gmane without success. I finally give up, feeling sorry for the innocent people, who's sensitive data got published by someone, who carelessly posted them.

Again, thanks for your help anyway,

Harald

Re: Removing and deleting posts

Graham Perrin
Sorry for the somewhat generic reply, people often overlook the 'Remove' option and it's not unknown for people to refer to a forum as a list.

Ethernut wrote
3. I thought this forum would be the best way to contact them. Obviously I'm wrong here.
This forum does gain many responses from Nabble ...

PS if it was credit card data, I'd probably contact the credit company to suggest cancellation of the card. Nice of you to think of your list members :)

Re: User accidently posted full data of 4 credit cards

Franklin <Nabble>
Ethernut wrote
I'm the owner of a mailing list and some time ago a subscriber carelessly posted personal data. The author is no longer reachable. How to remove this post and a reply, which quotes the original?

Btw. I'm just thinking about the possibility that someone posts credit card data to a mailing list by accident. Shouldn't there be an emergency mechanism that allows to remove such posts immediately?
If the author is no longer reachable, then he must have posted the data some time ago which means that the data has been available for a while which means that this is not an emergency.  In this case, you could just contact Nabble and ask us to delete the post.

If the user has just posted credit card data, then I would remove the post from the archive (making it harder to find) and then contact the owner to ask him to delete it.

Re: User accidently posted full data of 4 credit cards

Ethernut
Franklin Schmidt <Nabble> wrote
If the author is no longer reachable, then he must have posted the data some time ago which means that the data has been available for a while which means that this is not an emergency.  In this case, you could just contact Nabble and ask us to delete the post.
This is true for this specific case. Still I have no idea whom to contact exactly. Possibly there is an email contact given somewhere or a contact form, which I persistently overlooked.

If not, will it be OK to use the form via "reply to author"? For obvious reasons I do not want to post the links to the article on this forum.

If the user has just posted credit card data, then I would remove the post from the archive (making it harder to find) and then contact the owner to ask him to delete it.
This is the hypothetical case I thought about. I can think of a number of situations where the author of a recent post is not immediately available. It would help a lot to have this situation mentioned on the Nabble help page.

Thanks,

Harald

Send e-mail to poster, and help re: exceptional circumstances

Graham Perrin
Ethernut wrote
Possibly there is an email contact given somewhere …
If you click the poster's name, to reach their profile, you should see
Send Email to …

… It would help a lot to have this situation mentioned on the Nabble help page.
+1

Questions about removal and deletion in normal circumstances, and in exceptional circumstances, are frequent enough for me to agree that the relevant area(s) of Nabble Help should be improved.

Suggestion: a menu route to help on removal, deletion and bans

Graham Perrin
Graham Perrin wrote
…  relevant area(s) of Nabble Help should be improved.
Maybe the More menu can be extended, add menu option linking to help on (at least) removal, deletion and bans?

On the other hand, it's nice to keep the menus etc. concise and non-complicated.

Thanks
Graham