Unregistered User Can Post

Gary Lewis
I have a "user" that had trouble getting in originally.  I don't know what he did wrong, but he was "in" as I got an email saying so and I went in and added him to the members.  But he was still unable to post.

I then saw him in the list of "members" but as unregistered.  So I put him back through the process by registering as him, which sent him the email.  He followed the steps and got in and is able to post, but still shows as "unregistered".

I have no idea what issues this might cause, nor how to fix it.  Thoughts?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Unregistered User Can Post

Gary Lewis
Update: He's now posted, but the members listing shows him as having 0 posts.  However, I have discovered that he has another entry in the members list, with exactly the same name and email address, and it has one post.

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Unregistered User Can Post

GregChapman
It is entirely normal for unregistered users to be able to post on a forum, indeed Nabble's default settings allow this.

When they post as an unregistered user (I haven't fully tested this recently) I understand that a cookie is set on their device and on future visits this pre-fills the appropriate fields with their email address, when they attempt to post again. It's a mechanism to try to ensure that the same unregistered user keeps using the same address when Posting requires an email address and that adds the user to the "Anyone" group. They only get added to the "Registered" group once they respond to the email confirmation.

Is it possible your user has switched devices or registered using a different device, so that when he switched back the cookie pre-filled the fields giving him the impression he was logged in and registered.

However, I wouldn't expect that to set up two users in your forum, but I haven't tested what happens when you allow an unregistered user to post and then have that user register on a different device. It could be that you have uncovered a bug in Nabble's system, (Could a record be kept of the IP addressed used and if that doesn't match that used when the same address is registered on another device it is accepted as a different user?)

Apologies! This next story may have nothing to do with your issue!
I've had weird things happen on other platforms where someone swore that had one address but always used another. In the end it turned out that, in effect, he told everyone his address was johnsmith@gmail.com when all he ever used was john.smith@gmail.com. however, you could write to him at either and he'd respond from the "dotty" address. Currently, I keep getting mail that is addresses to one of my gregxxxx@gmail.com addresses when examination of the headers reveal it is being sent to greg.xxxx@gmail.com there's something strange about some aspects of Gmail and have been for a few months.

Re: Unregistered User Can Post

Gary Lewis
Greg - Thanks.  This one has be gobsmacked.  I thought I understood how Nabble works, but obviously don't.  And I especially don't understand the two-users-with-the-same-address issue.  Maybe Nabble does use the IP address?  Since I registered him the 2nd time it certainly was from an entirely different address.

Anyway, thanks for the explanations, plural.  Hopefully his log-ons will continue to be to the registered account and all will go well.  But, since the two accounts have the same name, email address, and password anything could happen.  Having said that, he's logging into the account I set up and registered, not the account he originally set up and hasn't been registered.

As for Google, they've made a number of changes of late that have done strange things.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/