URGENT: Lets Encrypt SSL Certificate fails on N7 Server

URGENT: Lets Encrypt SSL Certificate fails on N7 Server

GregChapman
My hosting service has installed a Lets Encrypt certificate on my cPanel hosting account.
All my domains are sub-domains within the main account.

The certificate has been working well with forums on the n3, n4,  n5, and x6 servers that are embedded in my various sites. (I am yet to install SSL on a forum I have on the n8 server)

However, over that last 10 days I have been getting regular messages from my cPanel account saying:

================================
The “LetsEncrypt” AutoSSL provider could not renew the SSL certificate without a reduction of coverage because of the following problems:
⛔ www.forum.aivuk.org.uk (checked on Jun 26, 2019 at 1:05:35 AM UTC)

DNS DCV: The DNS query to “_cpanel-dcv-test-record.aivuk.org.uk” for the DCV challenge returned no “TXT” record that matches the value “_cpanel-dcv-test-record=amk7qJERBvPYd43OJkp23OfkWFbaCgRv2eJ6pFlbvnFUnJCgoWRLUfRaIHymUrXE”.; HTTP DCV: “www.forum.aivuk.org.uk” does not resolve to any IP addresses on the internet.

⛔ forum.aivuk.org.uk (checked on Jun 26, 2019 at 1:05:35 AM UTC)

DNS DCV: The DNS query to “_cpanel-dcv-test-record.aivuk.org.uk” for the DCV challenge returned no “TXT” record that matches the value “_cpanel-dcv-test-record=amk7qJERBvPYd43OJkp23OfkWFbaCgRv2eJ6pFlbvnFUnJCgoWRLUfRaIHymUrXE”.; HTTP DCV: “forum.aivuk.org.uk” does not resolve to any IP addresses on the internet.

For the most current status, navigate to the “SSL/TLS Status” interface. You can also exclude domains from future renewal attempts, which would cease future notifications.

The following domains will lose SSL coverage when the certificate expires:

    forum.aivuk.org.uk
    www.forum.aivuk.org.uk

The certificate that is installed on this website contains the following properties:
Expiration: Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 9:00:40 PM UTC
================================

After a long and tortuous online chat with my host in which I gave the example of forum.rustonreaches.co.uk (hosted on the n3 server) as an example of a forum that was not threatened with SSL expiry, we got to this point:

Georgi I.
 at 10:42, Jun 27:
I see that n7.nabble.com and n3.nabble.com are loading from different IP addresses. So this is the reason why you don`t receive SSL warning for the subdomain which is hosted on n3.nabble.com
Georgi I.
 at 10:42, Jun 27:
I suspect that the issue is related to n7.nabble.com
Greg Chapman
 at 10:43, Jun 27:
OK! I will pursue with Nabble. I have multiple forums on their n3, n4, n5, n8 and x6 servers, but no others on n7. Thanks for your help.
================================

Can you check if there is any reason why the n7 server is behaving differently to all the others forums where SSL is working successfully. Is this really a problem with Nabble's n7 server or do you judge it to be a problem at my host that I have failed to get them to understand because of my lack of knowledge about such things.

Is it possible to test the truth of my host's view and switch forum.aivuk.org.uk to any of the others servers where I do have working forums with SSL.

I realise there's not much time to fix this and I may have to run without SSL for a time!

Re: URGENT: Lets Encrypt SSL Certificate fails on N7 Server

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Greg, there is no problem. The next renewal time is: Tue Jul 30 07:00:10 UTC 2019

Re: URGENT: Lets Encrypt SSL Certificate fails on N7 Server

GregChapman
But the way I read the messages is that it will not be renewed unless I take action.

The links provided in the emails appear to go to places not installed on the account or to which I have no access. The host applied for and installed the certificate on the account. I have no ability to do that on my hosting plan.

I get what seem to me to be nonsense answers from the helpdesk staff who claim that they can do nothing about renewing the certificate as the content is not served from their server and they have no answer when I point out that I am not getting similar messages from all my other forums.

Hopefully you are right and these are just spurious emails that have not been turned off in the settings for te n7 server.

Re: URGENT: Lets Encrypt SSL Certificate fails on N7 Server

GregChapman
Well the deadline's passed and https is still working so my panic is receding.

I really don't understand what my host was playing at.