Two quick User Registration questions

Flick
1. When users register at my site via thru Nabble login, will that registration by unique to my site, or will they be registering into a Nabble database of users?

2. Do you have any type of SSO planned or in the works. And if so, what is the timeline on that?

Re: Two quick User Registration questions

GregChapman
hudson wrote
1. When users register at my site via thru Nabble login, will that registration by unique to my site, or will they be registering into a Nabble database of users?
The registration is unique to your site.
2. Do you have any type of SSO planned or in the works. And if so, what is the timeline on that?
Forgive me. What is SSO?

Re: Two quick User Registration questions

Flick
SSO means Single Sign On system. It basically uses your existing user database to register users thru Nabble. Users wouldn't have to create a second account on your site because the software would register their existing username/password into Nabble for them.

Re: Two quick User Registration questions

GregChapman
SSO across Nabble as a whole was abandoned a few years ago as it limited the total number of users that could be accommodated without choosing ever more obscure usernames.

If you want to run a number of related forums with common or largely overlapping user base then run all your forums as sub-forums of your full set of users, use user groups and permissions to control who has access to which while preventing access at the top level which, effectively, just becomes the holder of your SSO database.

RE: Two quick User Registration questions

Flick

What you said can’t be correct because earlier you said each user database is distinct for each site.  In other words, customer registering at my site are unique to my site. Smith can register here and smith can register at another nabble site because each is separate. Hence, SSO for each site would be effective.

SSO across Nabble as a whole was abandoned a few years ago as it limited the total number of users that could be accommodated without choosing ever more obscure usernames.

If you want to run a number of related forums with common or largely overlapping user base then run all your forums as sub-forums of your full set of users, use user groups and permissions to control who has access to which while preventing access at the top level.

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Two-quick-User-Registration-questions-tp7592608p7592666.html

To unsubscribe from Two quick User Registration questions, click here.
NAML

RE: Two quick User Registration questions

hudson wrote
What you said can't be correct because earlier you said each user database
is distinct for each site.  In other words, customer registering at my site
are unique to my site. Smith can register here and smith can register at
another nabble site because each is separate. Hence, SSO for each site would
be effective.
Perhaps I expressed myself badly.

What I said earlier is correct. There can only be one Smith on Nabble Support but there could be a Smith on every other forum hosted by Nabble.

I then added that if you want a single sign on within a set of forums you host at Nabble then you must arrange them as a set of sub-forums which is what allows your users to use Smith only once across all your forums but still allows Smith to be used on any other forum hosted at Nabble.