Turning Photo Placeholder off option?

LeGrandFromage
We tried to embed Nabble 2 into a web site, with a pretty common width of the main section. Specifically 597px. It's a pretty common size with a 137px menu on the left, and another 137px section for various other boxes on the right, for the total width of 871. Nothing too unusual.

And we are intentionaly testing it on wide screen laptops with 800px of vertical resolution. Exactly what most students have these days.

The Photo Placeholder is turning out to be a problem though.

Due to Windows menu bar on the bottom and a few other bars in the browser itself that are either default or installed commonly by students, there isn't very much vertical real estate left at all.

What you get, is a real tunnel vision with very few posts visible, making the forum very difficult to use to seek information.

The considerable size of the photo placehoder obviously creates this problem even in the case of very short posts.

Additionally, with longer posts, the space the placeholder is taking horizontally isn't helping either, as you get more linebreaks making such post longer still.

I understand that you mean your forum to be fun. But what about, if the placeholder is there by default and forum owner could turn it off?

Nabble is the easiest forum for embedding I saw, it even has the redirect option. But at some point attention will need to be pointed at what happens space-wise when it actually gets embedded.

Re: Turning Photo Placeholder off option?

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
That's a good point. We are, actually, very space-conscious because of the embedding feature. So, we will have an option to use the small version of avatars in the "Classical" view. Please give us a week or two to get this done.

Re: Turning Photo Placeholder off option?

Will <Nabble>
Now I think a better solution is probably to let you select a default thread view for your forum.

The "classical" view will look very much the same as the "List" view once we remove the big avatar column.

So, if we let you select "List" or "Thread" as your default view, would it solve your problem?

Are you gays amazing, or what :-)

Re: Turning Photo Placeholder off option?

LeGrandFromage
Will <Nabble> wrote
Now I think a better solution is probably to let you select a default thread view for your forum.

The "classical" view will look very much the same as the "List" view once we remove the big avatar column.

So, if we let you select "List" or "Thread" as your default view, would it solve your problem?
It would definitely help alleviate the space constraints when the forum gets embedded.

Well, but whether the users would like it, and you suggested that they mostly don't, that would have to be seen.

I'd say let's keep things simple, and let's wait until you reduce/remove the avatar placeholder. We will see what happens then. Maybe that alone will be enough.

Will you post at the forum when it's done?

Re: Turning Photo Placeholder off option?

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
LeGrandFromage wrote
I'd say let's keep things simple, and let's wait until you reduce/remove the avatar placeholder. We will see what happens then. Maybe that alone will be enough.

Will you post at the forum when it's done?
OK. It will take a week or two. Yes, I'll let you know when it's done.