Transfer n1 -> n2

Thomas Reitmayr
Hi,
I would like to have my forum
  http://www.nabble.com/MozDev---checkyesss-f11297.html
transfered from Nabbel 1 to Nabble 2, for which I already created an identical user account. Please let me know if I have to do anything beyond that.
Thank you,
-Thomas

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Gale (Audacity Team)
I have the identical question plus one other: I'd be interested in transferring my forum
http://www.nabble.com/Audacity-f463.html

and its six children to nabble2, but:

* Does that mean its users re-registering?
* What happens when an existing user visits the old
   Nabble1 URL?
* Will both Nabble 1 and 2 support the upcoming
   "subscribe" facility to be able to receive complete
   messages" and reply to them ?

Thanks

Transfer n1 -> n2

Kal-El
I have the same question as the first two. I am running http://www.nabble.com/JGC-DoTA-f3447.html. I want to know what should I do to relocate my n1 account to n2 and will all threads and members already registered to the old n1 account be automatically migrated to n2 ?

Thanks,
Kal-El

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
Thanks for the request. We will do the transfer soon, and will let you know when it's done. There isn't anything you need to do.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Stefan Eilemann

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
Thanks for the post. Please see my response below:

Gale (Audacity Team) wrote
* Does that mean its users re-registering?
Yes. Will that be a problem? Registration is just an email confirmation. The reason we want to force a re-registration is so that users are conscious that their new account on nabble2 is an independent account from their nabble1 account. This is just our reasoning. Do let us know if you disagree.

Gale (Audacity Team) wrote
* What happens when an existing user visits the old
   Nabble1 URL?
All the nabble1 urls will redirect to the right exported page on nabble2. We have a mapping of each old post and thread and forum to the new ones.

Gale (Audacity Team) wrote
* Will both Nabble 1 and 2 support the upcoming
   "subscribe" facility to be able to receive complete
   messages" and reply to them ?
Nabble1 won't because it will stay the same. Nabble2 will have the feature. So, if you need the "subscribe" feature, you will need to migrate to nabble2.

I hope this answers your question.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

CyberCerberus
Hi.  I only very recently learned of Nabble, and created 3 forums which I haven't released to my community yet.  They're under my user account:

http://www.nabble.com/catalog/YourForums.jtp?user=1254964

Now that Nabble2 is available, I'd prefer to build using that instead.  Could you please delete my Nabble (v1) forums and I'll just build up on Nabble2 from scratch?

Thanks!

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
Kal-El wrote
I want to know what should I do to relocate my n1 account to n2 and will all threads and members already registered to the old n1 account be automatically migrated to n2 ?
Please see my response to a previous user who asked the same question http://n2.nabble.com/Transfer-n1--%3E-n2-tp73p390.html

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
CyberCerberus wrote
Now that Nabble2 is available, I'd prefer to build using that instead.  Could you please delete my Nabble (v1) forums and I'll just build up on Nabble2 from scratch?
Done. You can build them up on n2 from scratch.

Also, FYI, do you know that you can you can place all your forums under a common parent? You can create a parent, and then create sub-forums under it, or change a child forum's parent to your parent forum. Doing this allows users to browse/search all your discussions from one place instead of having to go to 3 places.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

CyberCerberus
Will <Nabble> wrote
CyberCerberus wrote
Now that Nabble2 is available, I'd prefer to build using that instead.  Could you please delete my Nabble (v1) forums and I'll just build up on Nabble2 from scratch?
Done. You can build them up on n2 from scratch.

Also, FYI, do you know that you can you can place all your forums under a common parent? You can create a parent, and then create sub-forums under it, or change a child forum's parent to your parent forum. Doing this allows users to browse/search all your discussions from one place instead of having to go to 3 places.
Thanks!  Yes, I did intend to do that, but when I was first setting up, I didn't really know what I was doing and screwed it up.  The main thing that messed me up was that if I made child forums, it looked like somebody could still post in the top-level parent forum.  I guess I could have used a Category (?) to solve this but it was too late by the time I started playing with that feature, I was stuck with my existing forum.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Gale (Audacity Team)
|  Gale (Audacity Team) wrote:
|  * Does that mean its users re-registering?
| Yes. Will that be a problem? Registration is just an email confirmation. The reason we want to force  | re-registration is so that users are conscious that their new account on nabble2 is an independent
| account from their nabble1 account. This is just our reasoning. Do let us know if you disagree.

It's a bit of a problem for me in my position of having just removed mailing list properties from a forum attached to a failed list, and mass invited users to register at Nabble 1. Apart from that, is there any benefit from re-registration if ultimately Nabble 2 will replace Nabble 1? If entering the Nabble 1 url simply redirects to Nabble2, Nabble 1 is no longer available to the users anyway. I'd strongly suggest  dropping the re-registration requirement, and maybe display a redirect page for a time that explains the forum has moved to Nabble 2 and has improved functionality. If you can drop the re-registration requirement I'd certainly like to migrate to Nabble2 as soon as you can arrange things. If not, rather than send out another mass invite, perhaps I should wait until Nabble 2 has the subscribe facility and then invite users of all my forums to Nabble 2. But for me this is second best to just migrating and making the experience seamless for the users.

Thanks

Gale

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Julian, G4ILO
I would like to see the Elecraft mailing list http://www.nabble.com/Elecraft-f28632.html migrated to N2. Would everyone who uses it now have to re-register immediately, or would the old version continue to be usable as it currently is until people choose to make the switch?
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for the request. After we migrate, the old urls will all redirect to the new. So, to the users, they will all land on the new pages. If they decide to post, they will see a login prompt with a notice telling them to register with nabble2.

It may also help to avoid confusion if you can make an announcement on your forum.

Do you think re-register is a big problem for your users?

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Citify
Hey Will. Hows it going? Just wondering if you would be able to transfer my forum also. Here is the URL.

http://www.nabble.com/SJFixed-f26647.html

Thank you very much.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Thomas Reitmayr
Hi guys,
thanks for migrating the Checkyesss forum. One strange thing happened though, about 20 - 30 old emails were re-sent to the mailing list with the current date, and those from trusted senders (about 2/3 of the emails) seem to have been distributed to the other participants, which worries me a bit.
Did others observe the same thing?

As an example, here is the header of one of those messages originally sent in 2006 (see http://n2.nabble.com/Sipgate.de-und-die-Einzelgespr%C3%A4che-tt879.html#a885):

From XYZ Tue Jun 17 07:41:50 2008
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: XYZ <xyz@web.de>
To: checkyesss@mozdev.org
Subject: Re: [Checkyesss]
        =?utf-8?q?Sipgate=2Ede_und_die_Einzelgespr=C3=A4che?=
Sender: checkyesss-bounces@mozdev.org

-Thomas

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for the report. We are looking into it.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
Thanks for your request. Would it be a problem for you if all your members would have to re-register?

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Leigh L. Klotz, Jr.
I created the Elecraft list at Nabble.  Once we get answers to Julian's questions, I'll request the change.
Leigh.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
I already answered Julian's question. Try switch to threaded view, and you will find the direct replies to a post.

Re: Transfer n1 -> n2

Citify
Will, It will not be a problem. I've already warned all of them and i will let them know again. Thank you.
12