Thread Splitting (Forum)

Harvey
Hugo... I have a huge thread that has turned into two separate discussions really. I'd like to turn it into TWO separate threads.

I know how to move a post from one thread to another.  And I know you can move all the replies too. But in some cases people reply to the LAST post not necessarily the post that is relevant to what they are saying.

Any advice on how to do this?

Also if I want to control the NAME of the new threads created do they have to start with a one of my own posts? If so can I add a post of my own at the top with an old date so I have that control?

Re: Thread Splitting (Forum)

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
I know how to move a post from one thread to another.  And I know you can move all the replies too. But in some cases people reply to the LAST post not necessarily the post that is relevant to what they are saying.

Any advice on how to do this?
There is no easy way for now. So you would have to move one branch at a time (I say "branch" because when you move a post, all replies are moved together with it). Note that the problem you described (people replying to the last post) doesn't happen when people use the threaded view.
Harvey44 wrote
Also if I want to control the NAME of the new threads created do they have to start with a one of my own posts? If so can I add a post of my own at the top with an old date so I have that control?
Yes, you could create two new topics, change the dates and then move posts under them. Automating this task is probably hard because only you can judge where each post should go to. Please let me know what you think.

Re: Thread Splitting (Forum)

Harvey
As a guy who barely understands the threaded view, I'm probably not the best one to ask how to solve this problem.

BUT... what about this...

at the BOTTOM of each thread (in Classic and List) there is a REPLY button - that doesn't associate the post with another post in the thread? If every post HAS to be attached to something, then those posts would be attached to the ORIGINAL/first post.

While the logic behind the thread view is probably the most "pure" most people just dont get it. They want to post under whatever was last - that's the way other forums work.

As an expert on this stuff do you think my idea would help?

Re: Thread Splitting (Forum)

Franklin <Nabble>
Administrator
What is the purpose of this, to make it easier for you to move posts between threads?  I think it shouldn't be that hard to move posts now.  To move a post in isolation, go the threaded view and move the children of the post to under the ORIGINAL/first post of that thread.  Then move the post to the other thread.

Re: Thread Splitting (Forum)

Harvey
Franklin <Nabble> wrote
What is the purpose of this, to make it easier for you to move posts between threads?  I think it shouldn't be that hard to move posts now.  To move a post in isolation, go the threaded view and move the children of the post to under the ORIGINAL/first post of that thread.  Then move the post to the other thread.
It's actually simple to do if everyone who has posted understands how to reply to the post they are referencing. In my experience less than 50% really understand this. Most people are comfortable with the classic view, and reply to the last post regardless of whether or not their comment relates to that last post.

The post that started this question focused on two distinct topics.  I was able to straighten it out by going through each post one by one. Now that I have done it once, it really isn't that hard.

I seems like there is no limit on how many times you can move something so it you make a mistake ultimately it can be fixed.
HTTPS Please!