This is what I want 2

ES Admin
Hi,

The beginning or start-page of my forum is set to the 'category' option and my forum has a number of sub-forums under 'Subcategories.'  However, I have a problem with one of the sub-forums, which is as follows:
If this sub-forum is also set to 'category' and I attempt to add a new topic, the new topic is treated as a sub-forum (not as a topic) and is placed as a pinned sub-forum at the top of the list, but I do not want this - I want to be able to place that topic somewhere else in the list.  If I select the 'forum' option as the application type, the same thing happens, so how do I resolve this?  All I want is a simple, strait-forward board listing various forums that either contain topics or that contain sub-forums which contain topics.  This is all I want...

Re: This is what I want 2

Hugo <Nabble>
You can solve this problem by changing the permissions of your forum.

1 - In your root forum, go to "Options > Users > Change permissions" and unselect all checkboxes for Create_topic and Reply permissions.
2 - In sub-forums where people can post, re-enable those permissions so that Anyone or Authenticated can create topics and reply.

After that, if users try to post under the root forum, they will see a list of sub-forums where they can go to and post the message. Please try that and let me know if you have questions, comments or concerns.

Re: This is what I want 2

ES Admin
Hi,

Many thanks, I'll try this...

Re: This is what I want 2

ES Admin
OK, I tried this, and it seems to have worked :)  However there is still a slight problem.  How can I change the order in which a list of topics is displayed/shown (By default, a new topic is always put at the top of the list).

I tried finding something that would allow me as the administrator to do this, but couldn't find anything...

Re: This is what I want 2

Hugo <Nabble>
Forum sorts topics by the date of the last post. Blogs, Galleries and Newspapers sort the topics by the date of the first post. What kind of sort do you want?

Note that pinned (sticky) topics can be sorted.
To pin a topic, open it and click on "Options > Pin topic".
To sort pinned topics, go to the forum where they are pinned to and click on "Options > Structure > Manage pinned topics".

Re: This is what I want 2

ES Admin
OK, many thanks :)