This is really weird - is it possible?

ClaudeMobetta

Hello -

This is really weird - is it possible?
Yesterday a long time email buddy and I were emailing back and forth about a new computer he was anticipating buying....   This went on and off fer about 3 hours...

At one point - I went to my Nabble web site to check something -
I logged on to my site - and left without logging off....

An hour or so later - I checked my site again - and here was an email I had sent to my friend.... It was “BY” me... ????
At first I thought my friend had posted it... But he says he didn’t and I believe him - anyway how could he post it under my name?

I did not post it or anything else on this day....
I certainly would have remembered the NABBLE Text Box and Tools if I had posted it....

Has this ever happened before --- was it because I did not log off?
Do yoiu believe it is possible?

Thanks Claude

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

Pedro
Hi,

Is the post still there? Could you give me the link to it?

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
Hi,

Is the post still there? Could you give me the link to it?
Yes - here it is -
http://loa-computer-help-plus.2634207.n2.nabble.com/I-fer-sur-get-a-17-3-screen-td7323657.html

It's the First Post - the replay is OK

Claude

It seems that the message came from your email. Could you check your sent emails?

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro -

Yes it was in my sent mail - as "To: mi-node+xxxx (1 leter and 3 numbers) -
Make sense to you? All other sent email were OK -
Sur don't remember sending this -
And how would I know where to send a post by email?
I don't think it's possible to post on NAbble with an EMAIL - IS IT ?????

Claude

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

GregChapman
ClaudeMobetta wrote
And how would I know where to send a post by email?
I don't think it's possible to post on NAbble with an EMAIL - IS IT ?????
Very definitely! It's one of the great advantages of Nabble's forum service it that you don't have to visit the web site at all. Unlike most forum software, which doesn't do more than send you a message telling you there's been a reply to your post, with Nabble you can operate a forum as if it's a mail list.

First you can "subscribe" to any forum or sub-forum and that effectively allows your users to use the forum as a mail list. In addition, on any forum or sub-forum where you have permission to post there will be an option OPTIONS > POST BY EMAIL. I have a note explaining this on one of the FAQs I post on my forums that says:

==============
To prevent spam, forum addresses are unique for each registered user, so you can't get a forum address and send it to your friends. To find your personal address for new topics in any forum/sub-forum, go to that forum, click on the [Options] menu and then "Post by email...". Copy the address shown into your address book for future use.

WORD OF WARNING: Before you get carried away replying via email... Conventions for posting by email can be a little different to posting on a forum. Those who "top-post" replies by email will probably annoy a forum's conventional users as the forum fills up will the original message text appended to every reply. Always delete any original text that is not required to make sense of your reply. Remember that on a forum that original text will already be there!

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

ClaudeMobetta

Hi Greg -

Thanks fer the information.

So if I had been logged OUT - this slipup could not have happened - Is that right?

But I did not go to options on any Nabble site and do: Options / Post by Email -
So how come it got posted?

I will fer sure log off when leaving any Nabble site...
That should stop the accidental posting by email - CORRECT ??

Thanks again - Claude

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Claude, posting by email is independent of login state. The point here is that you received some post by email (because you were a subscriber of some forum or sub-forum) and then you replied to that email. So the email went to the Nabble server and got archived as a new post on the forum. If you start new emails to that same address, they will be archived as new topics on the forum (they go to the same thread only if the subject is kept intact). So if you don't want this to happen again, just don't send emails to that address. It is also possible to disable posting by email with NAML, but this would affect all users.

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

ClaudeMobetta
Hi Hugo -

Thanks for the extra info -
That is the first time it has ever happened in 3 years on Nabble...
So I by mistake sent an email to a Nabble address - ?

Will try to watch it more closely in the future... No harm done...

Thanks again - Claude

PS:
 I sur am glad to see you use Amazon to collect monies -
I have tried to purchase online stuff that used Google to Collect the money -
Tired this several sites and different times...
Google almost drove me crazy - It replace my ToolBar and HomePage -
Never did buy what I wanted...
Very intrusive people at Google...

Re: This is really weird - is it possible?

Hugo <Nabble>
ClaudeMobetta wrote
So I by mistake sent an email to a Nabble address - ?
I think so. Just can keep in mind that email addresses that start with "ml-node..." will archive the message on the website.