Text Fields Inoperable

noklu
At http://forum.reachingperfection.com/ there has been a site wide issue, beginning at 0145 EST. The issue is that typing into text fields is impossible, whether that be subject lines, message fields, and even the description fields. All text fields are inoperable. This is not to say that input per se fails, because the bold, italic, link etc. buttons all input their codes into the text field. Copy and paste works, but strangely enough, only through the right-click menu -- not through keyboard shortcuts.

It occurs across the forum, and across multiple computers, users and even countries (not that that should matter). Browsers are not the issue. The following is detailed report from one of our users.

Dj7291993 wrote
 I went to post a thread in Spam tonight (about 12:45am Mountain Daylight Time (for reference, this will be sent around 1:30am here)), and realized that it would not accept any keyboard input when trying to type (characters, arrows, TAB, Enter, or anything else I tried). I still got the normal flashing cursor, just didn't do anything. To test this, I tried replying to an existing thread, no good, then typing into the forum search bar, also no good. I then tried exiting and re-entering the browser, still no good. Other websites still accept input, even the subscribe via email box on RP's homepage let me type, just not out forum.

  Next, I tried using Google Chrome instead (first attempt was in Firefox), still no good, as myself, or a guest. Any area of text input within our forum won't work. This was on my family's desktop. I then tried my computer in Firefox, still no luck. To test it, I opened it in IE as well, and my mom tried on her computer (not sure which browser) to no avail. As a final test, I tried it on my Phone (HTC Evo Shift) in Dolphin HD, set to desktop. This was on my mobile network, not the home network the other computers were on. When I tried typing in the search bar, it would, very briefly, show the character, before deleting it, meaning the information was being sent, but not received.
The issue also occurred on a separate forum ( http://davidjcobbistestingbro.blogspot.com.au/p/forum.html# ) that we also run as a testing ground for NAML.

We have identified a tedious workaround (type elsewhere, copy and paste with right click menu).

Re: Text Fields Inoperable

GodlyPerfection
I've had many users (including myself) have this problem as well.  We have't changed anything in a long while so I don't think it is on our end.

ReachingPerfection.com is home to many like-minded video game designers who all started on Halo: Reach's forge editor.

Re: Text Fields Inoperable

Hi
We are going to investigate this problem. Did you do anything involving javascript?

Re: Text Fields Inoperable

Please, go in your advanced NAML editor. See the file named "core".
On line 603, the "idle-checker" script is causing the problem.
You can fix your forum, for now, by removing line 649, so, you wouldn't call RP.IdleChecker.init(). I think you should do it while you search for another solution.

Re: Text Fields Inoperable

noklu
Thank you for your assistance - much appreciated. The problem has been resolved. However, I am under the impression that this particular script no longer operates because of this removed line of code. Is that the case? (Clearly I am not familiar with NAML)

Re: Text Fields Inoperable

Pedro
Hi,
Yes, the "idle-checker" script is not operating. There is something wrong with this script, I don't know what it is, so I've suggested to stop his use until you find a solution.
Probably there is something in your jQuery code that is not compatible with our version.

Re: Text Fields Inoperable

DavidJCobb
IdleChecker fixed. Updating the site to jQuery 1.7.2 turned the "preventBubble" parameter accepted by jQuery "bind" toxic for some reason. Will propagate changes from Testing Perfection to Reaching Perfection, re-enable IdleChecker, and test to verify.

EDIT: The removed line of code just disabled IdleChecker. The actual problem lied in habitually supplying a "false" argument to jQuery bind out of habit. Wonder what the jQuery team changed to make that suddenly toxic...