Suggestion for opening Signature links

mywaytoo
I would much prefer links in my Signature to open up in a new window... as we can set for links within a post.

Yes, the Return / Back button is available... but people may, accidently, click on the Close / X, and never be seen again...
Anne

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

Camo
Then in your signature, add to your link, target='_blank' eg

This will open the link in a new page or tab.

Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

mywaytoo
OK... I could do that... but I want my users to have it available for them.

I suggest that this would be a good feature to put in a template...
Anne

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

Camo
Your users could be advised how to do that. Currently you could create a 'sticky' thread with this advice,
or include it in your help/FAQ area/page.
With templets avail you should be able to control that yourself.
I have no ETA on the templets but Im looking forward to it with great interest!

Once templets become avail, add the following script into the <head> of your forums templet.

use
<script src="http://yourwebsite.com/extlink.js"></script>
You must upload the script file below to your server OR store it as an attachment file in a thread/post, on your forum itself, and include the link to your file. e.g

<script src="http://www.yournabbleforum.com/some post id/extlink.js"></script>

* if using this method, be sure to gain the link by right clicking it (see the link for extlink.js below) and select, 'copy link address' . Check this by pasting into the address bar on a new tab/page.
If successful, you will see a page of javascript.

This script automatically assigns 'open in new page' to all external links by matching the domain against the target domain.

Read More here.

If your adding link attributes manually, using  rel="external" is much better than target='_blank'
extlink.js
Camo's Classifieds! © Camo's Reptiles

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

GregChapman
Camo wrote
I have no ETA on the templets but Im looking forward to it with great interest!
The best info I have is at:
http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Example-of-forum-tp6409745p6425228.html
which suggests around 15 June.

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

Camo wrote
Your users could be advised how to do that.
I agree. Ignoring those who don't have a "proper" mouse (Mac users? ) for a moment, most people have a wheel to click and EVERYONE should know that unless they've got an unusual mouse driver installed:

Left-click = Link opens in the current tab
Wheel-click = Link opens in new tab
Right-click = Open a menu that offers a choice where to open the link

Everyone should be taught this before they grow out of their Internet Nappies. (I think that's diapers to you folks over there!)

More importantly, it is generally bad practice to force a link to open in a new tab or window, as it seriously affects a site's usability for blind and partially sited visitors, especially those who normally work with windows maximised.

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

mywaytoo
Left-click, wheel-click, right-click... I've never heard of this before! I usually work on the assumption that if I haven't heard of something, then it is very likely that other people haven't either...

It must be much easier for those who are partially-sighted to just use the 'X' in the top right hand corner, than have to transverse the screen to get to the return arrow in the top left hand corner... unless they are all taught to use the mouse...

From my point of view, and I suggest that of most website owners, I want to encourage visitors to stay on my website... I certainly don't want to give them the opportunity to accidently exit...
Anne

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
It must be much easier for those who are partially-sighted to just use the 'X' in the top right hand corner, than have to transverse the screen to get to the return arrow in the top left hand corner... unless they are all taught to use the mouse...
You forget several things...

The partially sighted often use the screen maximised. Depending on how their browser is set up, the new window may appear on top of the existing window, totally obscuring it and making it appear that the back button doesn't work to take them back to the previous window, so you lose them.

Alternatively, the new window appears under the current window and the visitor assumes they clicked wrong and does it again repeatedly spawning a host of windows that are only revealed at the end of their frustrating browsing session as your site appears broken to them.

The fully blind, those using a screen reader for preference, or those who are physically disabled and have difficulty using a mouse and work with the keyboard can find it easy to get completely lost when an author uses an unconventional approach to links. That's why I say you should always allow the visitor to make their own choices about links.

From my point of view, and I suggest that of most website owners, I want to encourage visitors to stay on my website... I certainly don't want to give them the opportunity to accidently exit...
As I demonstrate with my examples above, in many cases you actually make it more likely that people will lose your site or just get frustrated with it, either because of ignorance about how their browsers work or because of various kinds of disability. It is always far better to include tips and explanations about how things work on your site than make assumptions about your visitors' knowledge and skills.

And why, oh, why do some authors think they are being helpful when they add the message "Opens in a new window" to their links. To those with disabilities it just confirms the author is being awkward. To the rest it confirms that the author fears that many of his visitors are a little bit ignorant - hardly flattering! If your user profile is likely to include a high proportion of Internet newbies then it is probably better to include a section on the site which advises on the best way to navigate it, which the proficient can ignore, and the newbies learn from, and boost their impression of your site in their mind.

Re: Suggestion for opening Signature links

mywaytoo
I guess that there will never be a 'one answer suits all'... but Nabble can't object to it too strongly as they have the option available for links within posts...

I'll ask some questions on Facebook and see what comes back (I've never asked questions before!)
Anne