Suggestion along the line of owners

Nalicter
I would like to suggest that forum owners be able to allow certain users to do only the following extra things without making them forum owners:
• Add authorized users to the forum (i.e. Who can view and post?)
• Invite people to subscribe to the forum

There are a lot of people I would like to be able to do these things on several of my forums. I could make people admins, but then they could potentially do things I wouldn't want them to do (such as delete the forum).

Re: Suggestion along the line of owners

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Yes, I think we should probably limit deleting a forum to only the creator. What other things do you want to be for creator only?

Re: Suggestion along the line of owners

Nalicter
Hmm—well, it's not that I only want the creator to be able to do everything. It's more that I just want another classification higher than a normal user, but lower than an owner.

I think it's useful to be able to have another user that can delete the forum and stuff like that—but it's more for backup than anything, in case the original owner disappears from off the face of the Earth (it's good to have someone left who can do everything). If we could cover that issue, I don't think limiting other admins a little more would be too much of a problem.

So, if we're only to have one setting aside from the creator, I would suggest removing the following from the others:
• Merging forums
• Deleting forums
• Put this category in a board

They should definitely still be able to do the following:
• Edit name and description
• Everything under users
• Change appearance
• Everything under structure but the things mentioned above

That said, I really only want that extra classification which allows chosen normal users to be able to invite others to subscribe to forums, and to be able to add people to the list of authorized users who can view and post. I don't really want them to be able to do anything else above normal. This is kind of how social networking places like Facebook allow group/event creators to allow others to invite people to the group/event. However, it would be nice if we got to choose specific people who could and couldn't. If that wouldn't work, though, I would certainly welcome the 'option' to let all forum users do it.

Here's a note of caution, though: these special users should not be able to change the forum from private to partially private or public (just invite and add users).

Re: Suggestion along the line of owners

Nalicter
Cordilow wrote
I think it's useful to be able to have another user that can delete the forum and stuff like that—but it's more for backup than anything, in case the original owner disappears from off the face of the Earth (it's good to have someone left who can do everything). If we could cover that issue, I don't think limiting other admins a little more would be too much of a problem.
Here's an idea to cover that issue:
If the forum owner hasn't used Nabble at all in over a year, then the other forum owners will be notified, and one of them would be appointed as the replacement.