Sub-Forum creation/deletion permissions are upside down!

Sub-Forum creation/deletion permissions are upside down!

IMBA webmaster
I'm testing a new account, with http://n2.nabble.com/IMBA-UK-Forums-f2158358.html containing 3 top-level Forums.  I really like the clean, minimalist look and the ease of embedding the forum into an existing site.

"Options/Users/Control Anonymous Users" is blocking posting by anonymous users.

But there are problems with Sub-Forums :-

1) Anonymous users can create Sub-Forums ("Options/Structure/Create new sub forum").   I'd like to restrict this to Admin users only.

2) As owner, I can't create a Sub-Forum (the "Create new sub forum" option does not appear).

3) As owner, I can't delete a Sub-Forum that an Anonymous user has created, because "Options/Delete" does not appear (except for the Anonymous user).  A workaround is to use "Options/Structure/Advanced Options/Merge With Parent Forum" and then delete any posts in the parent forum.

Is there a setting I can tweak to fix this, or is it a bug?

Many thanks!

-- Martin.

Re: Sub-Forum creation/deletion permissions are upside down!

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks a lot for your comment. That's exactly what we strive to be.

Regarding your questions,

IMBA webmaster wrote
2) As owner, I can't create a Sub-Forum (the "Create new sub forum" option does not appear).

3) As owner, I can't delete a Sub-Forum that an Anonymous user has created, because "Options/Delete" does not appear (except for the Anonymous user).  A workaround is to use "Options/Structure/Advanced Options/Merge With Parent Forum" and then delete any posts in the parent forum.
These seem to be a bug. Are you sure you are logged in? Go to http://n2.nabble.com/IMBA-UK-Forums-f2158358.html (without the embedding) - log out and log in, you should see those owner-only options.

The create sub-forum menu is under Options->Structure->Create new sub-forum.

As for deleting other user's forum, note that we distinguish "Delete" from "Remove". To "Delete" is to permanently destroy something, so it's only restricted to the creator (post author, forum creator), so you can't delete other people post or forum. But you can "Remove" it. The menu option is in Options->Structure->Manage Sub-forums... there you can remove a sub forum.

1) Anonymous users can create Sub-Forums ("Options/Structure/Create new sub forum").   I'd like to restrict this to Admin users only.
If you don't like Anonymous users, you can use the "Options/Users/Control Anonymous Users" to disallow anonymous users to make new posts or new sub-forums.

Making a new sub-forum is about the same as making a new post. New sub-forum created by user are "floating" the same way as new threads by users, and it will get pushed down quickly if it has no reason to stick. But if it does have reason to stick, then you are giving freedom to your users and they are contributing, right?

No matter what, you have the ultimate control as you can remove a subforum or ban the creator or do both if he's a trouble maker.

You already noticed that Nabble is a bit different from the other forums, well, this is just on example - we want the owner to have control but also we want to give users the freedom to do something useful ...

Re: Sub-Forum creation/deletion permissions are upside down!

IMBA webmaster
Thanks for the quick reply...
2) As owner, I can't create a Sub-Forum (the "Create new sub forum" option does not appear).
RESOLVED by logging out and in again :-)
3) As owner, I can't delete a Sub-Forum that an Anonymous user has created, because "Options/Delete" does not appear (except for the Anonymous user).
RESOLVED.  "Options->Structure->Manage Sub-forums->Rem" works just fine :-)
1) If you don't like Anonymous users, you can use the "Options/Users/Control Anonymous Users" to disallow anonymous users to make new posts or new sub-forums.
UNRESOLVED.   Even with "Control Anonymous Users" set to "Forbid", anonymous users can still make new sub-forums, they just can't post to them.  Probably a bug.

Thanks again.

-- Martin.

Re: Sub-Forum creation/deletion permissions are upside down!

Hugo <Nabble>
IMBA webmaster wrote
UNRESOLVED.   Even with "Control Anonymous Users" set to "Forbid", anonymous users can still make new sub-forums, they just can't post to them.  Probably a bug.
Thanks for reporting this.
We have fixed this bug, but we have to wait for the next release, which should happen in the next 48 hours.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Sub-Forum creation/deletion permissions are upside down!

IMBA webmaster
Awesome, thanks again.

-- Martin.