Sourceforge archive and Nabble.com disagree

Sourceforge archive and Nabble.com disagree

NathanGray
A recent post to perp-developers@lists.sourceforge.net, as archived and delivered to me, a subscriber:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=22455595.post%40talk.nabble.com

The same post, according to nabble.com:
http://www.nabble.com/Notes-and-doubts-about-GL-td22455595.html

Note the difference in question 1), "GL accounts" vs "GL account_groups"

Why the difference, and what steps should be taken to prevent this?

Re: Sourceforge archive and Nabble.com disagree

Graham Perrin
It's normal for a Nabble user to have the option to update their content in Nabble, and for updated content to be marked as such.

Example: <http://www.nabble.com/Need-%28please%29-to-contact-the-owners-of-top-level-OpenOffice-in-Nabble-1-tp21204042p21204085.html> is marked:

— but I see no such marking at <http://www.nabble.com/Notes-and-doubts-about-GL-p22455595.html>.

Curious.

Re: Sourceforge archive and Nabble.com disagree

Graham Perrin
Graham Perrin wrote
It's normal for a Nabble user to have the option to update their content in Nabble, and for updated content to be marked as such.
In some circumstances, revision marks seem to be missing.

Re: Sourceforge archive and Nabble.com disagree

Graham Perrin
If the post was edited within one hour of submission, no revision mark will apply. <http://n2.nabble.com/Revision-marks%3A-edited-messages-not-marked-as-such-tp2517365p2519536.html> explains.

Re: Sourceforge archive and Nabble.com disagree

NathanGray
Thanks for digging into that.
The explanation sounds reasonable, although I disagree with the action.

Strikethrough, revision marks and the one hour period of grace

Graham Perrin
Three or four aspects to this, I'd like to bounce ideas off you (and other readers) …

1. A poster to a developer list (we find this example of a message that differs from a probable edition in Nabble) should have observed the clear yellow banner, during edition, forewarning that changes will not be sent to the list.

— Easier said than done, I recall making many such mistakes when I was new to Nabble; it took me some time to 'get' the ways in which Nabble and SMTP-oriented mailing lists interact with each other.

2. I quite like a period of grace. It's often normal to edit, post submission, for example <http://n2.nabble.com/Receiving-spam-through-Nabble-tp2525010p2536585.html> edited by me to refer to a subsequent spin-off topic.

3. I often make mistakes, and wish to highlight (not hide) those mistakes after the event, so that if a message is found by some other reader and treated as a point of reference, the reader does not follow my mistake.

— I'd like an easier way to strike through text in Nabble; this was originally amongst my top five wishes but it's effectively demoted to #7 (off the radar) by a couple of things.

— still, for any correction that should be pushed to readers, I would send a reply (drawing attention to the correction).

Thoughts?

Regards
Graham