Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Hello -

Several years back I asked Nabble - about putting Sound/music in my Nabble Website -
I was told it could be done - but I never followed up on it.
But would now like to add sound to my home page
LOA  >>   http://loa-computer-help-plus.2634207.n2.nabble.com/

I must have 100 mini sites using HTML - almost all have sound -
I use this code --   <EMBED src="sound.mid" hidden=true loop="true"
Or sound.wav or sound.mp3

I know the sound must be uploaded to a folder with the rest of my Nabble/LOA code...

How can I do this?

Thanks - Claude

Re: Sound in my site

Pedro
Do you want a background sound on your site? Or a song player embedded?

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
Do you want a background sound on your site? Or a song player embedded?
Don't know the difference ?
I suppose a song player - be it a mid/midi/wav/mp3
Would like sound to play when the site is opened - maybe loop once or twice
Be nice if I could change sounds from time toi time...

Claude

Re: Sound in my site

Pedro
Should it play only in the first page or while the user is in your site?

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
Should it play only in the first page or while the user is in your site?
The first page would be good enough -
BUT - is this possible?
Would that be like open front page sound plays -
Then when user goes to a subject no sound -
Then back to front page sound again -
IE only sound when viewing front page ...
That work?

Claude

Re: Sound in my site

GregChapman
Of course, Claude, it's entirely up to you what you do with your forum, but...

I'd advise that you read through some of the results from this Google Search, before you commit yourself.

Re: Sound in my site

You can edit apply_app_namespace macro like this, that embed, src, tag has to have the address of your song file:
<override_macro name="apply_app_namespace" dot_parameter="do">
    <embed hidden="true" src="pedro.2313024.n4.nabble.com/file/n4640386/Rush_-_Fly_by_Night.mp3" autostart="true"/>
    <n.app_namespace.do/>
</override_macro>
You can see how it works, only in first page, in my forum http://pedro.2313024.n4.nabble.com/.

But take a look in Greg's link, I do agree that user won't like the "surprise" song and your site will be heavier.

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta

Pedro

I like yur taste in Music

Can ya figure it out for me -
Exactly what code do I need to put in my site -
Like in : >Options >Applications >Edit Name and Descriptions -

If I coukld read yur code fer yur Music - would help -

Yes I understand the drawbacks of MUSIC on a web site -
Some of my web sites have the option of turning MUSIC on or off...
Besides there are other SOUNDS beside MUSIC - I migh like to try...

Claude
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
You can edit apply_app_namespace macro like this, that embed, src, tag has to have the address of your song file:
<override_macro name="apply_app_namespace" dot_parameter="do">
    <embed hidden="true" src="pedro.2313024.n4.nabble.com/file/n4640386/Rush_-_Fly_by_Night.mp3" autostart="true"/>
    <n.app_namespace.do/>
</override_macro>
You can see how it works, only in first page, in my forum http://pedro.2313024.n4.nabble.com/.

But take a look in Greg's link, I do agree that user won't like the "surprise" song and your site will be heavier.

Re: Sound in my site

Pedro
As I said before, you have to put the embed tag: <embed  loop="true" hidden="true" src="your song address" autostart="true"/> . Note that your song should be hosted somewhere.  Then you can edit that macro I showed in my last post.

If you want that your users could stop the music, your site should show the player. If so, let me know where should I place the player.

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro -

OK so would this be what I put at the head of my Site :

<override_macro name="apply_app_namespace" dot_parameter="do">
 (<)   embed hidden="true" src="claudemobetta.com/song.wav" autostart="true"/(>)
(((need (<) and (>) to show here )))

<n.app_namespace.do/></override_macro>Do I need that first line Override tag ?

I made a much simpler Music on/off routine -
Mobetta than showing the console - never cared fer it...

Claude

Re: Sound in my site

Pedro
Not at the head, but at the macro I told you. I can do it for you. Have you already uploaded your song?

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
Not at the head, but at the macro I told you. I can do it for you. Have you already uploaded your song?
Pedro

Yes - music is :  ebb-tide.mid       -   and it's at claudemobetta.com ---
Put it in and I can see if I like it....

I don't understand the MACRO stuff - where is that? Do I make it?

Thanks - Claude

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
 your site will be heavier.
What do you mean "Heavier" ?

Re: Sound in my site

GregChapman
Heavier means they'll be a lot more data to transfer to the visitors computer.

That could make it much slower to download and it would take longer for images, in particular, to appear. For those on dialup the site might slow to a crawl and become unusable. It could also prove expensive for those using mobile devices without a data allowance (and generally mobile connections are slower too).

However, as your target audience is AOL subscribers, some of those issues may not be a worry for you.

Re: Sound in my site

I didn't find your file. Please, give me the complete path to it.

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro

I thought this would get it - but NO - won't play
http://claudemobetta.com/ebb-tide.mid

Where should it be?

Thanks C

Re: Sound in my site

Pedro
Are you sure you upload this file? I don't see anything at this link.

Re: Sound in my site

ClaudeMobetta
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
Are you sure you upload this file? I don't see anything at this link.
Pedro -

Yes I uploaded it fer sure - have double checked it....

Claude

Re: Sound in my site

Pedro
What happens when you click the link you gave me? Please, send the file to my email: pedro@nabble.com

Re: Sound in my site

It's not there. I hosted your file in my own server in mp3 format. It's not so easy to play mid files, while I'm installing it, please, use the mp3 extension.
If you want to remove it just edit the macro app_html, delete the first line after body tag:
<embed src="http://pedroabg.com/2ebb-tide.mp3" hidden="true" autostart="true" loop="true"> </embed>