Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

Nasir
Hi,

I am running a Nabble forum at:
http://club.cafeinvestor.com/
There are six sub-forums to this main forum.  Currently, topics posted only in one of them (Cafe Investor Exclusive) are showing in the "Topics View" in the main forum.  What can I change to view all topics?

Different members have different access to various sub-forums. As an admin, I have access to all sub-forums, but I am still not able to see all topics.  Earlier, there were three sub-forums and I was able to see the topics posted in all of them in the "Topics View" of the main forum.  Now, I added three more sub-forums... maybe there is some change in setting which changed this.

I checked, and did not find any difference in the setting between the Cafe Investor Exclusive sub-forum and the other sub-forums.  Please help.  Thank you.

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

haozwang<Nabble>
I think this is a bug, I'll let franklin know

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

Nasir
Thank you Haozwang.

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

haozwang<Nabble>
Hi Nasir, according to franklin it has to do with the view permissions where the contents shown has the same view permissions in the topic view. Have you tried different view permissions and see any difference?

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

Nasir
Thanks Haozwang.  Yes, everyone doesn't have access to all sub-forums, so it must be a setting thing.

As Admin, I have access to all sub-forums, but I cannot see anything when I go to the main forums Topics view.  I thought that the Topics view would show all topics that are accessible to the user.

Is there any way to work around this?  Though it is not a big issue; we will get used to it over time.  But it is "nice to have."

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

haozwang<Nabble>
Hi Nasir, according to Franklin, because we cache the pages the content cannot be varied by user. he said you should have the subforums just inherit everything from root.

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

GregChapman
I am not clear if this is relevant in this case but I always recommend that an Administrator should create a second user for themselves by registering with a different email address.

They can then use that user to test whether those who register or are added to the Members group can view and post in the appropriate areas of the forum.

After I make changes to User Permissions I always test them by logging on as my alternative test user first having them as Registered then test again having made the test user a Member.

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

Nasir
Hi Haozwang, thank you. I would like to restrict view by users, hence, am not able to do that.

Is there any way for me to "hide" certain sub-forums for select users?

Thank you Greg. It is good advice and I have done that.

you can create additional "groups" that allows access to certain subforums

While I have done that, members not in that group can still see information like Number of Topics, Number of Posts and Who posted last.  Can this be hidden?

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

GregChapman
You may not have checked the option at:

Options > Application > Extras & Add-ons > Content > Smart Application pages

This completely hides the sub-forums to those without the permission to view it. They don't see any links to them so can't even reach the "Access Request" screen.

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

Nasir
Thank you so much Greg.

I had indeed not checked this option.  I tried it just now.  It hides only one of the sub-forums that is not accessible to others.  All the sub-forums still show as it is (though they cannot be accessed when one clicks on their link).  Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Some sub-forum (Topics) not showing in "Topics View" in main forum

GregChapman
Once that option is checked, the system certainly works to completely hide sub-forums on all the forums I operate.

The most likely reasons for it failing are:

• The "View" permission has not been removed for all appropriate User Groups and on all sub-forums where access is to be prevented. (Remember that, by default, User Permissions are inherited by sub-forums from its parent forum.)
• When testing, you are logged in as a user belonging to User Groups do have access the  sub-forum intended to be invisible.

(In fact, they are the only reasons I can think of for the system failing!)