Selectable Default View

LeGrandFromage
Greetings,

We are doing usability testing for our organisation. We are testing several different embeddable forum solutions including Nabble 2. I will post some of the  observations later in the case you'd find them of interest.

For now a question:

Are you planning to make the default view (Standard, Thread, List) selectable by the forum owner?

See also "Turning Photo Placeholder off".

Re: Selectable Default View

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
LeGrandFromage wrote
We are doing usability testing for our organisation. We are testing several different embeddable forum solutions including Nabble 2. I will post some of the  observations later in the case you'd find them of interest.
Thanks! Your feedback is the most precious thing for us. We appreciate every bit.

LeGrandFromage wrote
Are you planning to make the default view (Standard, Thread, List) selectable by the forum owner?
By asking this question, I assume you want to set a default view for your forum. We can certainly do that, but you are the first person who ask for this. We prioritize things based on how many users ask for a feature. When there are 3 or 4 users asking for something, it will get done pretty quickly.

In your case, I am just curious. Why not let the user select? One thing we know is that people have very different taste. Personally, all Nabble team prefer the thread view, but in reality, most people prefer the standard view. If you select a thread view for your users, they may not like it.

Re: Selectable Default View

LeGrandFromage
I didn't mean preventing users from selecting whatever view anybody likes the best.

I.e. I didn't mean removing the selector.

With "default" I meant exactly that. The initial look that we'd find optimal based on the tests.

If the users would find our conclusion incorrect, they'd be absolutely free to change the default.

And speaking of user not liking what _I_ select, we really do the tests in a group of 6 different people, three of which are non-related volunteers found 2 weeks ago, so they are not yet indoctrinated :-)

More in the "avatar placehoder" thread.

And yes, I understand how you set your priorities.

Re: Selectable Default View

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
OK. We have this option now. Go to your forum, click Options->Change forum appearance, there is a checkbox "Show small avatars in classic view".

This will make the "classic view" use a small avatar instead of the large one.

Please try it.

The feature is not complete yet as we haven't make a forum automatically inherit this setting from its parent. So, for now, you will have to manually set all sub-forums. We will add the auto inherit later but just wanna give this to you first.

Re: Selectable Default View

indonewyork
Nable is getting more and more awesome, I'm applying this to few sub-forums already, and I'm so glad you are going to put that inherit thing, because I have so many sub-forums already, and I am going to have even more, and it will be handy to do everything manually. Thanx a lot guys

Re: Selectable Default View

Will <Nabble>
ok. Now it's complete. The auto-inherit is released.

Re: Selectable Default View

Will <Nabble>
ok. Now it's complete. The auto-inherit is released.

Re: Selectable Default View

indonewyork
Thanx Will, my forums look good now, you guys rock, keep up the good work, man. Please keep us updated on the private forum feature, ok?