SSO Integration

MDressler
We have a community site that requires registration to add content.  We have embedded Nabble.  When a new use registers we want the use to also be registered in Nabble and signed in when they login to the site.  We are using Atlassian's Crowd to support our user management and single sign on.  Can we integrate with Nabble user management for these activities?

Re: SSO Integration

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for asking.

We are thinking about making an open source version of Nabble which you can install on your own server. This version will have an interface which allows you to control/integrate the user logins. Would this work better for you or you prefer to use the hosted Nabble with some way of letting you control/integrate the user logins?

Re: SSO Integration

MDressler
Either solution would work.  The open source would be of great interest.  Do you have a time table?

Thanks
Michael

Re: SSO Integration

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
We should have something out in 2 to 3 months. This is just an estimate. Before that, you can just use the hosted version. It will be easy to export hosted into installed.

Re: SSO Integration

MDressler
Using the current hosted is there any way to add users programmatically?  We want unregistered user to read only but only registered users to be able to add content.  We would like to not have them register for the forum separately.

Re: SSO Integration

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Sorry, we don't have anything right now. But there have been a number of people asking for this, so let me discuss this with the team and see if there is anything quick we can provide. How soon do you need this?

registered users only

MLwiN-web
We are looking into using your forum and the only problem we have is that anyone can add a post without registering. We would like to have registered-only posts, but for anyone to be able to view the posts.  How soon do you think you will be able to provide this service?

Re: registered users only

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
This is already provided. Go to your forum, click Options->Users->Control Anonymous Users... you can disallow anonymous posting there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Re: SSO Integration

jasonray
Is there any update on SSO support, or providing an open source version that I can host myself?

Thanks!

Re: SSO Integration

jasonray
I've heard through the grapevine that I may be able to integrate Nabble with my own Crowd (SSO provider).  Any truth to this?  It would be a great boost in that I would not need users to create two multiple account (one for "my" systems and one for nabble).

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Re: SSO Integration

Hugo <Nabble>
We are still working on serveral high priority features and this kind of integration will probably have to wait a few months. Just to give you an idea of what is going on, we are implementing distributed architecture, social networks, template engines, etc. So we are working hard to give users the best service.

Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: SSO Integration

jasonray
any update?  We are really itching for this.  Could we assist in making this happen?

Re: SSO Integration

Hugo <Nabble>
Sorry, we still need some months to work on this.

Re: SSO Integration

Hyrum Clyde, Product Mgr.
Any news on the ability to create users programmatically?  This will greatly enhance the user experience.

Thanks,

Re: SSO Integration

Hugo <Nabble>
No, we still don't have this solution. The problem of this feature is that spammers could abuse it, so we are very cautious at this point. This feature makes more sense when the Nabble code is running on the user server, but we are far from this goal too. Our main goal now is to deliver templates and modules, which will bring several new possibilities for the web site, like custom HTML, internationalization, content management, social networking, etc.

Re: SSO Integration

tocaspace
We're after the same feature. I guess when you were mentioning the social networking stuff you meant the ability for people to sign in with their Facebook / Google et. al. accounts, did you? If so, are you also planning to integrate with open ID? We're considering becoming an open ID provider, therefore we could effectively achieve SSO with Nabble via this route.

Re: SSO Integration

jasonray
+1 on the openid request!

Re: SSO Integration

OpenID is in our roadmap, but we must finish templates and modules first. After this milestone, Nabble will have a public API to let users build custom modules. So anything will be theoretically possible.

Re: SSO Integration

pandemoniumsyndicate
Any word on Login Integration? The ability to have users login to the hosts login page, logging a user into both the hosts website and nabbles forum? Registration as well?

Re: SSO Integration

Peter <Nabble>
As Hugo said, after Templates/Modules (which is actually NAML) we will start working on other features. NAML will be released in the following days.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.