Resolved: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
This post was updated on .
It seems to me that with the changes in the forums, there are quite a few resulting problems that, with the current options, will take forever to fix. Are you planning on implementing the merge feature (or at least the ability to move all posts in a forum to another forum)?

I'm thinking it's just too much to deal with. I had no idea the move to Nabble 2 meant the loss of multiple parents (otherwise I would have taken precautions first, and all would be well—well, most would be well).

Anyway, I need to know if the forum merge feature will become available, as whether or not it will be available drastically affects the outcome. In either case, however, I intend to delete a lot of forums. Forum merging would prevent me from needing to delete so many forums that actually have a lot of good posts in them (I'm not going to bother moving the posts one by one, as I'd never have time to finish the task).

Anyway, if forum merging is going to be allowed, I can wait until it comes about, do some stuff, and then get back to you.

Otherwise, here is a request I have of you (doing it manually would take way too much time that I'm not willing to invest, and I'm sure you have the ability to do this fairly easily):

Have all my forums deleted except for the following:
Fantasy Writing
Dream Analysis
Poetry Critique

If the posts in the other forums still need a home, feel free to merge them all together into a single forum (except those above). That might be an idea for you, actually. I mean have a single forum for Nabble where posts without a forum go (like a lost and found). Just a thought.

At that point, I would recreate some of my forums (don't worry: not tons of them) in the desired fashion (believe it or not, that, and taking the time to promote them, would take a lot less time than fixing the current ones; some of them needed fixing anyway).

If the merge feature will be available, I would want to merge several forums, and then ask you to delete all of them except for a few.

Anyway, if you can't delete all these except for the few desired, I'm wondering if you could just delete them all, and I'll start over from there. Let me know about the merge thing before doing anything, though, if you would.

Also, if you delete them all, be sure not to delete any of nadiag's forums: i.e. Best Recipes and most of its children (they're connected with one of mine).

Thanks!

Re: Regarding my forums

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Cordilow wrote
If the merge feature will be available, I would want to merge several forums, and then ask you to delete all of them except for a few.
It sounds like you can simply tell us the "several forums" that you want to merge, and we can do it using custom code. This way you don't have to wait for the feature to come out.

Just tell us which forums you want to merge into which, we can do it. Also, after this, we can also merge all your remaining forums into one, so that you have all your orphan threads still under your node. Would that work?

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
Will <Nabble> wrote
It sounds like you can simply tell us the "several forums" that you want to merge, and we can do it using custom code. This way you don't have to wait for the feature to come out.
That sounds great, actually. Thanks!

Will <Nabble> wrote
Also, after this, we can also merge all your remaining forums into one, so that you have all your orphan threads still under your node. Would that work?
Yes, that sounds great, too. It will work.

All right, so here are the forums I want merged:
Merge these into Fantasy Writing:
* All of its children (grandchildren, etc. as it has a ton, and they're not organized well for a single parent structure). I know the children show up, anyway, but there are a lot of inconsistencies now, and it could cause some issues with what I want to happen if they are left.

Merge all of these into HymnWiki:
* All of its children
* Hymn Critique [and children]
* Hymn Writing [and children]
* Hymn Reviews [and children]
* Hymn Lyric Writing
* Hymn Tune Critique

Merge all of these with Dream Analysis
* Dream Topics (not analysis) [and children]

Merge all of these with Music Topics
* All of its children, except for HymnWiki

Merge these with Poetry Writing
* Poetry Critique [and children]
* Poetry Advertising
* Empty children

Merge these with Abstract/Symbolic Poetry Writing
* Its children

Merge these with Song Lyric Writing
* Its children

All right, after this is done, here is the list of the only forums I want to keep:
* Fantasy Writing
* Poetry Writing [and children]
* Dream Analysis [and children]
* Music Topics
* HymnWiki
* Creative Works

All the leftover posts can just be put into Creative Works, and all other forums can be deleted. I'll do more of my own stuff after that to spruce things up. I'll probably separate most of the forums I want to keep from Creative Works later, though, to make them independent parent forums.

Is this doable? If its not, I just want to keep Fantasy Writing, Poetry Critique, Dream Analysis and Dream Analysis's children. And, all the posts without a home can go into Creative Works (hence, we'd keep that one, too). Feel free to do the first merging set of requests without further notice from me, if you like. If you don't want to do that, feel free to do the second option without further notice from me. Just tell me when it's all done, and which one is done.

Thanks!

Re: Regarding my forums

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Great. Please give us a fews days to get this done.

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Regarding my forums

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Cordillow, we decided to just implement the feature to allow you to merge a forum into its parent. This way you can do the merging by yourself. We are just too "afraid" to make a mistake on your forum.

Go to a child forum, click "Options->Parent options", there is now an option to "Merge with parent forum", this will delete the current forum and move all the contents (thread or subforums that are 1-level below) to the parent.

Please check it out. Let me know if you still need help.

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
This post was updated on .
Thanks. That helps out quite a bit. I think I might do things a little differently than I had planned.

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
It looks like I can take care of most of the issues now. Things are looking good. I really like the pinned thread/forum features. I didn't realize quite what they were for at first, though, I must admit. But I was hoping for such a feature; it's quite nice.

Anyway, after I'm, done, I'll have another request, but it should be pretty simple compared with that last . . . Sorry about all that.

Thanks again for the merge feature, by the way. It's very nice. So are the other parent forum features.

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
EDIT: See my next two posts

All right, I'm finished reorganizing things for now.

Basically, I want to keep the following forums intact as they are (including all their children/descendants):
Fantasy Forums
Poetry Forums
Dream Forums
HymnWiki

I was wondering if you could easily merge the rest of my forums into a single forum (let's say Creative Works). There are hundreds of them—too many to keep track of. I'm sorry for all of this mess. I shouldn't have made hundreds of forums to start with. If it won't work out, let me know.

If you have other uses for any of these other forums, seeing as people are using some of them without any extra prodding from me, feel free to take them out of my ownership and do what you want.

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
EDIT: see my next post

If merging all my forums into creative works, except for the four I listed (and their descendants) would be too complex a thing, here is something simpler that would still help a great deal:

Merge all of the children/descendants of Creative Works with it in one go. The remaining forums not tied with Creative Works would then be a lot easier for me to find and deal with myself, seeing as most of them are connected with Creative Works in some fashion.

You don't have to worry about other people's forums connected to them. I disconnected those recently.

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
Nevermind all that. You don't need to do anything more with my forums.

The merge feature as is should be enough. It'll just take some time (not as much as I thought it would, though). I'm over half-way done now, I think.

Re: Regarding my forums

Nalicter
I'm finished. Now it's final. All those forums are part of Creative Works. Now I can concentrate on aesthetics and such.

Thank you for all your hard work and patience with me.