Request: user opt-out from embedding (to use Nabble 2 or tried and tested Nabble 1 UI)

Request: user opt-out from embedding (to use Nabble 2 or tried and tested Nabble 1 UI)

Graham Perrin
I am frustrated by the issues that have arisen since the support forums that I use have been embedded (in plone.org).

Whilst embedding may be desirable by a majority or minority of users, I dislike being _forced_ to use an interface that is ultimately less reliable than traditional non-embedded Nabble 1.

Please, provide registered users with an option to over-ride embedding.

Thanks
Graham

Request: user opt-out from embedding (to use Nabble 2 UI)

Graham Perrin
I'm less frustrated than I was but still, limited as a result of embedding.

Content can be easier to work with (more compatible with Diigo, for example) when it's not embedded.

Please, can you offer an option for registered users of Nabble to gain non-embedded views of content?

Thanks
Graham

Re: Request: user opt-out from embedding (to use Nabble 2 UI)

Graham Perrin
I see <http://n2.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=40> but that's set by the forum administrator, not a user preference.

Re: Request: user opt-out from embedding (to use Nabble 2 UI)

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Sorry, but site owners may not like this, also some forums may be missing critical information if stripped of embeddings. So, we won't do this unless a lot of users ask for it. Plus, we would like the embedding to work. So, if you see problems, we want to fix them. Allowing user to opt out of it is just a way of trying to avoid getting the embedding right.

User opt-out from embedding (to use Nabble 2 UI): overview is understood, request is shelved

Graham Perrin
Will, many thanks for clarifying. What you explain is actually what I expected to hear … more than anything, I wanted some steering one way or the other in response to the suggestion.

As background: I'm a sites manager in a multi/mixed organisation environment, where users will almost certainly wish to use forums and other online resources, in unexpected ways — which is fine — but I have a vested interest in having all questions answered (at least, knowing how to steer users) before I put myself in the position of supporting those forum users and managers :)

For myself:

1) I'll now happily shelve the suggestion, focus more properly on greatest compatibility with embedded environments

2) immediate priority is compatibility with Diigo.

Let's close this thread and continue elsewhere…

Best regards
Graham

Re: User opt-out from embedding (to use Nabble 2 UI): overview is understood, request is shelved

Will <Nabble>
Administrator
Thanks for understanding and thanks for using Nabble.

user opt-out from embedding: no longer required (forced redirection has ceased)

Graham Perrin
Graham Perrin wrote
Whilst embedding may be desirable by a majority or minority of users, I dislike being _forced_ to use an interface that is ultimately less reliable than traditional non-embedded Nabble 1.
I'm delighted to see that the redirection to plone.org is no longer forced :)