Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

FOP admin
Hi,

I have a forum through Nabble on my site and was wondering if it's possible for Nabble to create a separate embeddable box which links itself to the forum to know the most "Recent Posts".  I see these on sites throughout the internet but am not a programmer so have no idea how to accomplish this on my own .  It would be great to be able to post a box on my welcome page sidebar which quotes the top 5  (# of posts displayed could be adjustable) most recent posts in my forum.

Also, it would be nice to be able to insert an image or texture in the shaded area of the forum instead of just color.

Thanks!  Your forum is fantastic for those using websites where you cannot use PHPBB.

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

GregChapman
FOP admin wrote
I have a forum through Nabble on my site and was wondering if it's possible for Nabble to create a separate embeddable box which links itself to the forum to know the most "Recent Posts".
Unless you have pinned any topics in a forum then the topics automatically arrange themselves in date order, so there is no need for a "Recent Posts" box.

In any forum that has sub-forums then an additional option appears at the top, "Topics View" (which toggles to "Main Page" when in Topics View). Topics view show all posts, in date/time order indicating,  in the final column, the forum/sub-forum in which they were posted. Take a look at Nabble Support or Free Support to see this in action.

Does this meet your need?
It would be great to be able to post a box on my welcome page sidebar which quotes the top 5  (# of posts displayed could be adjustable) most recent posts in my forum.
Nabble forums don't have a sidebar, so I guess you are talking about one of the other application types. In the gallery application that I have, I find that all posts appear in date order, regardless of the the sub-forum they are posted in. In other words you are automatically in "Topics View" and see the most recent post first, so there is no need for a box to tell you what you already see.
Also, it would be nice to be able to insert an image or texture in the shaded area of the forum instead of just color.
You can do that already via OPTIONS > APPLICATION > CHANGE APPEARANCE > CSS and enter the code needed to provide the texture or image in the desired part of the forum.
For example, to provide a texture to the background of the header bar of a forum (different code is required for some other application types) you would enter something on these lines:
.nabble .header-row {
background-image: url(http://www.domain.com/mybackground.jpg);
}
where http://www.domain.com/mybackground.jpg could be a small file uploaded to a photo sharing site.

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

Harvey
Greg - I think he is asking for an HTML widget that he/she could use on his "outer site" (maybe a blog?) that would display the most recent posts - a way to draw readers from his/her home page to his forum?

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

GregChapman
Hi Harvey,

Reading again... you could be right!

In which case I'd like to have some URLs posted to show examples of exactly what he's talking about and the URL of his own site, to see where it's going to go.

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

FOP admin
Yes, that's what I meant.  It would be a good tool I think to draw people from my home page to my forum page.  It's all on the same site just different pages but unpublished as of yet.  I've a few weeks to go probably before publishing the site.

Thanks!

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

Peter <Nabble>
I will have to check if it can be done but even if it could be done (probably can) it would be a premium request as it is a specific request for a specific user.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

FOP admin
Thank you for the response.  I do think if you implement a tool such as this, it would be widely requested since I see them everywhere.  It would surely increase Nabble's popularity and drive visitors from a person's home page to the forum on their site.   I use Nabble specifically because it can be used on an HTML site which won't allow me to use PHPBB.  Honestly the PHPBB ones I've looked at when I considered a new website, did not impress me because they were not directly embeddable into my site with a great deal of ease.   Then I discovered Nabble and though I don't specifically remember, I
probably kissed the keyboard or stopped threatening the computer's life!   :))

I actually have never needed help with Nabble so a premium plan seems unnecessary in my circumstances unless it would include all additions I'd like to see on Nabble?  Such as other embeddable items that are as nice looking as the forum.

I'm always hoping for embeddable, customizable things like:

"Monthly Calendar of Events" where myself (admin) AND particular site visitors who have been given permission by me can post events on the calendar as well.

"Comments" (I would like to post a comments option on my site for featured items each month) and then also would need a separate box to go with it which lists most recent comments that I could post on my home page to stir their interest in the article.

I've seen these things online elsewhere but have been unimpressed and honestly would like to get everything I need from one spot.  There are many little things like surveys or polls or rss/blog feeds I can use from other companies but the bigger things would be nice to come from Nabble.  Thanks for your time!

We may add it as a feature request (we still need to evaluate it) but it wouldn't be a priority right now.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

AnaMardoll
I am looking for exactly this!

I have a blog with a standalone page for forums, but they haven't really taken off yet. If there were an embeddable widget I could use on the main blog showing the last bumped forum thread, I think it would get more eyeballs.

Re: Request for embeddable "Recent Posts" box

Peter <Nabble>
OK, thank you for your support on the feature. It is important to us so we know how appreciated it would be.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.