Remove "Send email to"

arrow
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Remove "Send email to"

GregChapman
arrow wrote
Is there any way to remove or hide the "Send email to" link in User's Profiles on a Nabble forum?
Yes!

You need to edit the "profile_header" macro.

However, I would caution against doing a blanket removal of that code segment and suggest that you make it conditional so that Administrators will continue to see the option. Also bare in mind these factors:

• Any email sent via that link is cloaked in a special Nabble address and does not reveal a user's true email address, so your users maintain their privacy
• Having email contact disallowed could force your users to share information that might be best kept private and that has security implications for them.
• Posting information on the forum that may be best sent privately can lead to flame wars and generally be disruptive to the conduct of your forum.

Re: Remove "Send email to"

arrow
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Remove "Send email to"

GregChapman
Oops!

My first "factor" statement was wrong.

I got confused about when email addresses are cloaked. I have just done a test and can confirm the following...

• When using the User Profile screen ordinary users cannot see the address to which an email is sent.

• A user's registered email address is kept secret to all except forum administrators, who are shown it on a user's Profile page.

• What is sent by Nabble from a user's Profile screen is a true email. In consequence the sender's registered address will be  revealed in the recipient's email program.

• If the recipient then replies, the message goes straight to the original poster's email address and, as you would expect when sending any email, that email will reveal the sender's email address.

In short, Nabble does NOT offer a "PM" service where users can hide behind anonymous forum usernames. All private correspondence between users is passed via conventional email with a user's registered address revealed.