Registration and Embedding Questions

Mary O'Neill
Hello,

How many times must I register before Nabble will recognize me?  I started a forum a week or so ago, registering before doing so.  I embedded my forum on my password-protected site, which shows the sign-in page for Nabble when I enter it.  It has never recognized me or my password when attempting to sign in from my own site.

Today, I registered again because it didn't recognize my email that I have been using all along.  So here I am, still facing my original problem which is "How to redirect" people to my password-protected page if the "redirect" link is greyed out from Options?

I would like to have members of my club use the forum on my password-protected page withought having to sign in again.

Can anyone help me, please?

Re: Registration and Embedding Questions

GregChapman
Mary O'Neill wrote
How many times must I register before Nabble will recognize me?  I started a forum a week or so ago, registering before doing so.
I'm not entirely clear I understand is happening from your description. Maybe you are leaving out some vital element or, perhaps, you are not sure what is normal behaviour and are leaving out something vital from your description.

Obviously, when you create a forum you create a registration on that forum. This also sets you as a user with administrator status on that forum.
I embedded my forum on my password-protected site, which shows the sign-in page for Nabble when I enter it.   It has never recognized me or my password when attempting to sign in from my own site.
Here's where your description lacks clarity and where you may have a lack of understanding of what to expect!

If your main site is already password protected, there is normally no need to sign in to a Nabble forum. In such circumstances people are expected to use the forum with its default settings that allow "Anyone" to view and post to it.

Bear in mind that your forum and your main site are each hosted on two different servers. Your password protected site has no way of linking its database of users/passwords with Nabble's. If you set your forum to require a login that will always be an additional second login process that any user will have to go through after getting logged in to your main site.
Today, I registered again because it didn't recognize my email that I have been using all along.  So here I am, still facing my original problem which is "How to redirect" people to my password-protected page if the "redirect" link is greyed out from Options?
Now you refer to a password protected page. Earlier you referred to a password protected main site. If your main site is open and it is only the page in which you have embedded the forum that is password protected then I would say you should remove that protection, as Nabble's own functionality is perfectly capable of providing access control.
I would like to have members of my club use the forum on my password-protected page withought having to sign in again.
Then just return the User permissions to the default state allowing "Anyone" to view and create topics and reply.

You'll find that with the setting allowing "Anyone" to post/reply your forum will require any new user to provide name under which to post and this will be stored as a cookie on their device and thereafter that name will be displayed beside the "Login" and "Register" links at the top right of the Nabble screen and will show in a non-editable field when posting a new topic or making a reply.

Re: Registration and Embedding Questions

Mary O'Neill
Dear Greg,

My apologies for this late acknowlegment of your helpful letter.  I have been away and I will check on your suggestions tonight, after my return.  Thank you!

  Mary
FCWC Webmaster

Cell: <a href="tel:770.289.7122" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="0/1">770.289.7122
Home: <a href="tel:770.496.8452" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="0/2">770.496.8452

On Jul 9, 2014, at 5:41, "GregChapman [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mary O'Neill wrote
[...]

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Registration-and-Embedding-Questions-tp7590618p7590624.html
To unsubscribe from Registration and Embedding Questions, click here.
NAML