Re: How can you delete a post or posts?

cigarmike1
Hello Greg and thanks for getting back to me about my issue. I actually have another question. Is it possible to have an email alert sent to one person anytime someone makes a post on the forum?  My client wants that badly but i don’t see a mechanism to do that.

Again, thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Mike

Mike Pitkow

Pitkow Associates
Marketing and Media Services

215.249.8156 (home)
215.249.8157 (office)
215.534.0794 (cell)

[hidden email]
[hidden email] (preferred email)

www.pitkowassociates.com

On Oct 26, 2017, at 5:14 AM, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Visit the individual topic and select: Options > Delete topic
You only see that option if logged in as an administrator or if you are author of the topic.

If you want to delete an individual post within a topic then visit the post and use: More > Delete post

NOTE: if that post is mid-way through a topic then the post remain within the structure but with a note "Contents deleted" in its body. It has to stay in the structure in order to have a hook on which to hang the subsequent posts and to assist with such things as "Threaded" view and "in reply to" notes at the top of posts in Classic view.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/How-can-you-delete-a-post-or-posts-tp7598873p7598878.html
To unsubscribe from How can you delete a post or posts?, click here.
NAML

Re: How can you delete a post or posts?

GregChapman
cigarmike1 wrote
Hello Greg and thanks for getting back to me about my issue. I actually have another question. Is it possible to have an email alert sent to one person anytime someone makes a post on the forum?  My client wants that badly but i don’t see a mechanism to do that.
Strange you should ask that when, given that you have replied via email, you appear to have found the answer already!

Any forum user that supplies an email address (i.e. registers) can "Subscribe via email" to a topic, sub-forum or entire forum - just as you will have done to post your reply.

As you will have seen you also have the choice about whether to limit the subscription to new topics (only with a forum or sub-forum, of course) and limit whatever you've asked for to a daily digest.

 Perhaps I misunderstand what you are asking for?

Re: How can you delete a post or posts?

cigarmike1
Hi Greg. Yes I believe I am an idiot also….my apologies. I simply forgot that I asked for support on a forum. I’m used to filling out a ticket and sending it to the vendor for support. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Mike Pitkow

Pitkow Associates
Marketing and Media Services

215.249.8156 (home)
215.249.8157 (office)
215.534.0794 (cell)

[hidden email]
[hidden email] (preferred email)

www.pitkowassociates.com

On Oct 26, 2017, at 6:48 PM, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:

cigarmike1 wrote
[...]

http://support.nabble.com/How-can-you-delete-a-post-or-posts-tp7598873p7598882.html
To unsubscribe from How can you delete a post or posts?, click here.
NAML

Notification of Posts (WAS: How can you delete a post or posts?)

GregChapman
While this is a great benefit for many I do have one reservation about "subscription via email"...

Because, unless you subscribe to a digest, you get the entire post via email, then you also get the opportunity to reply - and that reply also gets posted in full to the forum.

On those forums that a lot of frequent posters reply via email then - because almost everyone these days top-posts their replies over a quote - the forum then gets saturated with repetitive quotes. When quickly scrolling through a forum it can become very difficult to pick out those one line posts if there's a massive chain of quote following the one line. Also searches for a particular post in a long chain becomes near impossible because of the number of hits you get that turn out to appear in the multiple chains of quotes.

That's why on a number of my forums I have edited the NAML so that people may only subscribe to a daily digest, as then subscribers only get a quote from each of the posts made in a day and they are forced to visit the form to make a reply. Obviously, the disadvantage with that is that it slows down the responses if people are not in the habit of visiting the forum and refreshing the contents several times a day.

In short, it's all a question of balancing the pro and cons of the options and traffic levels in any particular forum.

(I have some special privileges on this forum, Due to topic drift I have moved this part of the topic to a new one. It would be helpful to others if you could edit the subject line of your earlier posts in what is now a new topic. Visit each post and select : More > Edit post.)