Ratings

Graham Perrin
This post was updated on .
@ Nabble

Please, for Nabble 2, might you re-introduce the ratings feature?

Of the 14,558 threads, I can't guess the percentages of:

* posts from people who are not registered with Nabble
* ratings by people who are not registered with Nabble.

I'm struck by the number of posts that gained four stars:
<http://www.nabble.com/Mac-OS-Forge-f22105r4.html>

Not all four stars are applied by humans.

Where ranking is not human, what's the logic?

At a glance:

1. some threads that begin with four stars are orphans, e.g. <http://www.nabble.com/-td21658646r0.html>

2. a single-message thread, not an orphan, a question that is unanswered <http://www.nabble.com/-td21620296r4.html> gained four stars.

For the second example, <http://www.nabble.com/rating/RatedPosts.jtp?user=750786> confirms that the author's message is not amongst the "Messages Rated by Others".

TIA for advice
Graham

Re: Ratings

Hugo <Nabble>
Graham Perrin wrote
Please, for Nabble 2, might you re-introduce the ratings feature?
If we re-introduce the ratings feature to Nabble2, it certainly won't be the exact same feature from Nabble1. The biggest problem of that implementation (Nabble1 ratings) is EGO. People that receive low ratings tend to get very angry or upset. So negative ratings won't be back. We still have to discuss this internally and find improvements.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Ratings without negativity (to encourage positivity)

Graham Perrin
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
… EGO. People that receive low ratings tend to get very angry or upset. So negative ratings won't be back. We still have to discuss this internally and find improvements.
Agreed, *avoid* negativity.

I read this alongside <http://n2.nabble.com/Suggestion%3A-language-warning-tp661558p2262532.html>.

A reflection on the old help: with or without extending the highlights at <http://www.diigo.com/04qp4> and <http://www.diigo.com/04qp3>, there are some negative words in the help itself ;)

• bad rating
• bad users
• poorly
• lowly
• out

Suggestion: draft some help to be viewed by the person who is on the naughty chair. Make is as gentle as possible, without suggesting that the person is naughty :)

Without reading freenode philosophy: channel guidelines in their entirety, I find some very positive highlights.

I'll move this Ratings thread to a level away from the original topic, but feel free to move it back. I think it will be very important to get right, especially for customers who wish to install their own Nabble.

Best,
Graham

Re: Ratings without negativity (to encourage positivity)

Graham Perrin
I'm not a great user of YouTube but a while back I found myself appreciating the effects of thumbs up/down to comments under <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uuqXXT7VYo>.

Enough thumbs down leads to a subtle show/hide toggle that allows the reader to make their own decision whether to read that particular comment.

<http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=9uuqXXT7VYo&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3D9uuqXXT7VYo>, only eight of 820 hidden, which isn't bad going.

(The remaining 812 are not David Attenborough material, but that's beside the point :)