RFE: simple placeholder leading from old to new location of a topic/thread that is moved

RFE: simple placeholder leading from old to new location of a topic/thread that is moved

Graham Perrin
1) Request for enhancement

When I move a thread from one place to another, I would like the option of leaving — at (or as near as possible to) its original point in the topic:

• a simple placeholder that refers (without redirection) to the new URL.

—

2) I had that idea a few weeks ago. Now, it bubbles to the surface alongside discussions such as

(re)move from a forum that is private.

There are valid arguments against leaving a placeholder for something that has been removed (remove ≠ move) but I suspect that by bringing a few thoughts/requirements/wishes together we can find a single solution (set of simple options) that serves all purposes.

I can't quite put my finger on it yet, but I'm sure it's possible. For now, either

• leave it with me (I'll revisit this second aspect in due course)

or

• leap in with arguments...

Re: RFE: simple placeholder leading from old to new location of a topic/thread that is moved

Graham Perrin
Here's a good example:

<http://n2.nabble.com/Ratings-tt2230797.html> was moved from the midst or tail of a topic, to the top level Nabble Support area.

During or after the move I edited
<http://n2.nabble.com/Ratings-tt2230797.html> to show its origin, but its origin
<http://n2.nabble.com/n1--%3E-n2-for-user-accounts-tt14367.html#a14871> lacks a reference to the thread that I moved.

Visible or obscure placeholder for moved/removed content; and/or access control?

Graham Perrin
Graham Perrin wrote
(re)move from a forum that is private.

… leave it with me (I'll revisit this second aspect in due course)
I view the overt labelling of foul content as akin to a placeholder. (Maybe technically different, but from my user perspective it is essentially a first thing that warns me before I proceed to a second thing.)

I might view a flame war as equally foul. I have commented on part of <http://n2.nabble.com/Very-confused-why-admins-can-not...-tp1322377p1331598.html>. For a moment, I'm ignoring everything that followed that October 2008 post.

<http://n2.nabble.com/Ratings-tp2230797p2274577.html> discusses a YouTube example.

@ Nabble

I don't know how much of this is feasible but here goes…

Placeholder type (a): a normal visible reference (not redirect) to the new location of a normal topic or thread.

Placeholder type (b): an obscure reference to the new location of a contentious, flaming or foul topic or thread. This type of placeholder — at the original location of the content — visible only to the poster and the forum owners. Other users may find their way to the content only if the new URL is known/disclosed. Something like a sin bin or swear box, if you like.

Type (c): access control (without move, remove or placeholder). Forum owner applies an access control to the content so that no-one other than the original poster(s) can view or edit that content. If/when the posters edit the content to an acceptable state, then the AC can be cleared by the forum owners.

Hmm. Complicated?

Re: Visible or obscure placeholder for moved/removed content; and/or access control?

Graham Perrin
Making this topic less fuzzy:

* might an obscurity approach, or an access controlled approach, also help to solve the issue of a post becoming public when removed from a private forum?

the private/remove/public issue

Graham Perrin
Bite-size thoughts

1. owner of a private forum might traditionally see (in the More menu for some other user's post) options to Delete… or Remove…

2. an improved More menu might offer to Archive or Set aside (not offer to Delete… or Remove…)

3. as the owner does so, Nabble UI explains/hints/reminds that

• the archive in its entirety is not visible to normal members of the private forum

• a poster whose content has been archived may find only their own content (never any other poster's content) in that archive.

(Make sense?)