REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

ClaudeMobetta

Hi -

I have a question I posted before - and did not get a clear answer -
My Hosting Company - Host Gator - The best - Automatically makes a weekly back up of all my files. You can do it yourself - But if need be - HG will replaced all files - fer a one time fee of $15,,,

Question: Does Nabble have this ability - to replace all my files if I mess up and delete the web site by mistake...
When I first started a Nabble site - I accidentally deleted the whole site... A weeks worth of data... And had to start all over again,,,I have been gun shy ever since...

http://loa-computer-help-plus.2634207.n2.nabble.com/

Thanks - Claude

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

GregChapman
Hi Nabble Team,

Claude's earlier post was here:
http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/SYSTEM-BACKUP-td7238358.html

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

Hi,
when you download the archives of your app, you save all your content at that moment. So, we can backup it later when you want.

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

ClaudeMobetta

Hi,

when you download the archives of your app, you save all your content at that moment. So, we can backup it later when you want.

Hi Pedro -

Can ya descrebe the steps to do this like:
1 >
2 >
3 >
And so on?
How do I down load the Archives ?
And when does NABBLE know to BACKUP the files...?

Thanks - Claude

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

GregChapman
1. Go to OPTIONS > DOWNLOAD ARCHIVES
2. Read instructions there then click the button: START ARCHIVE GENERATION
3. Wait for an email confirming generation is complete.
4. Follow the instructions in the email to download your archive.

Job done!

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

ClaudeMobetta
Hi Gary -

Thanks fer the detailed steps -
But that scares the crap out of me -
Old “Doubting Thomas” here needs more courage -

Like if Hugo says these steps are OK and I ain’t gonna lose my site - then I’ll try it -

Other than for a backup - what is this process for? How many times can I do this?

Thanks -
Claude

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

GregChapman
ClaudeMobetta wrote
Other than for a backup - what is this process for? How many times can I do this?
You can do it as often as you like.

The file captures your entire forum at the time of generation and produces an XML file. This is in a fairly standard format but does require a script to unpack it. Nabble have such a script and if you send the file back to them they can re-create your forum should some disaster occur.

It could be unpacked by anyone with the skills to write a script and so, in theory, the file could also be used to transfer your forum to upload into other forum software.

It really is a simple process to obtain a backup. It has no more impact on your forum than someone visiting it. The forum is just streamed to a file you can download rather than to your computer screen. There is absolutely no chance of doing any damage to your forum by generating the backup or downloading it.

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Claude, Greg explained correctly. You can download the archives as often as you would like. I should remember a few things:
1) The backup doesn't include configurations like permissions and customizations made in the "change appearance" page. So you should manually take note of whatever you have in there.
2) Although we can restore a backup saved by the forum owner, the URL of the restored forum will be different from the original one. So old permalinks will probably not work anymore and you would have to fix the embedding code in your HTML page if your forum was embedded.

You can save the backups as explained, but you should keep them only for extreme cases. I also would like to remember that all Nabble servers have daily backups in case something bad happens, but we can only use those backups to bring the full server back after a disaster. We can't restore individual forums out of the daily backup, so forum owners must have the individual backups if they want to restore a particular forum or app.

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

ClaudeMobetta
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Hi Claude, Greg explained correctly.
2) Although we can restore a backup saved by the forum owner, the URL of the restored forum will be different from the original one. So old permalinks will probably not work anymore and you would have to fix the embedding code in your HTML page if your forum was embedded.
Hi Hugo -
Thanks fer the confirmation as to how to back up a site...
Not being able to use the same URL would be a real bummer -
Could a "REDIRECT" at least be used wif the old URL?

Thanks - Claude

This is not so simple because the forum and all messages get deleted before we restore the backup. Note that the forum would be deleted only if the owner (or any other admin) clicks on the DELETE button. So you should think ten times at least before clicking on that button and you should also trust the other admins you add (if any).

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

ClaudeMobetta
2) Although we can restore a backup saved by the forum owner, the URL of the restored forum will be different from the original one. So old permalinks will probably not work anymore and you would have to fix the embedding code in your HTML page if your forum was embedded.

Hello -
Not trying to be a butt head here about this - just want to understand...
A Nabble Backup is “Sorta” of a backup - If I lose the URL to my site - I lose everything - A year or so ago - Nabble changed my URL - but there was a re-direct to my new URL

If I lose my old URL without a re-direct - it’s all over and finished... Gotta start from scratch.... I can make a new Body with the HTML code I save from time to time - I can do without the old Topics answers and questions - but without my viewers having a clear path - URL - to a new Web site - it’s over. I could put a new site together in less than an hour - no problem...

As I said before - Host Gator does a weekly backup of all files - and if ya want - they will put all files back for $15 - almost instantly - or you can do your own backups... Maybe never need a Backup - It's reasuraning to know this help is available...
Maybe Nabble should look into something like this type of Backup - I am sure HG would share their info on this subject wif Nabble...
Thanks - Claude

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks for the information, Claude. I believe this will be possible with Nabble in the near future. We are working on a major database split that will keep each app in its own database schema (instead of having everything in shared tables), so restoring a single schema would be much simpler than it is now and should preserve the IDs of the nodes. Hopefully we should have this in a few months.

Re: REPLACING ALL MY FILES IF I DELETE THEM BY MISTAKE

ClaudeMobetta

 author="Hugo <Nabble>">
Thanks for the information, Claude. I believe this will be possible with Nabble in the near future. We are working on a major database split that will keep each app in its own database schema (instead of having everything in shared tables), so restoring a single schema would be much simpler than it is now and should preserve the IDs of the nodes. Hopefully we should have this in a few months.

Thanks Hugo -

The NABBLE FULL BACKUP would be a great feature - Hope it comes to be soon...
Plez send out an announcement when this happens...

Claude