Question about cookies...

mywaytoo
Question... Me as Admin and Me as User... Do 'we' both use the same cookies? Because Me as User hasn't had to select the opt-in button???
Anne

Re: Question about cookies...

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
Question... Me as Admin and Me as User... Do 'we' both use the same cookies?
On the basis of your report, the answer appears to be: Yes!

It's something I didn't check, and it raises a question....

Because it is possible to see the adverts without even logging on to a Nabble Forum then you need a simple "allowCookies" cookie, which isn't linked to a current Nabble "username" and, if you are only to see the acceptance screen once, so it is not too intrusive, that will have to operate on the basis of the person logged into the operating system.

It appears that the code behind the screen, doesn't check against a Nabble "username" and present each Nabble user with the cookie acceptance screen.

That strikes me as a reasonable policy as no one should ever use someone else's login on a computer, so the fact that you visit a site under a score of usernames shouldn't oblige you to accept under every user, since the operating system knows you're really the same person who accepted first time around.

Re: Question about cookies...

mywaytoo
Well... it might be another person using my PC... ?
Anne

Re: Question about cookies...

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
Well... it might be another person using my PC... ?
I did say:
"no one should ever use someone else's login on a computer"
and I'm sure you'd always log out of a computer when leaving it unattended or, at least, be prepared to accept the consequences.

Re: Question about cookies...

mywaytoo
I would imagine that every diligent admin will have a few user IDs for testing... Haven't you?
Anne

Re: Question about cookies...

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
I would imagine that every diligent admin will have a few user IDs for testing... Haven't you?
Now you're talking about Nabble usernames, and yes I do have have multiple usernames on my forums. I normally use my Admin name and keep others testing permission levels for other user groups. But as we're talking about cookies I was referring to Windows users I would normally operate as a "Standard" user, only switching to an "Administrator" account when needed.

Re: Question about cookies...

mywaytoo
Now you've really lost me........

Anne

Re: Question about cookies...

GregChapman
You seem to be focussed on a variety of Nabble IDs, both admin and others.

I recognise multiple Nabble IDs and am additionally talking about multiple Windows Users and making the point that people don't matter to computers. Computers only recognise "users" and it's up to the people sitting down at a computer to tell it they're a different user.

I was suggesting that your concern about multiple people on your computer doesn't apply because no one uses a computer without logging on to it under their own username. Under their own username, their cookies don't interact with yours as they're stored within their own area of the computer. That's why Nabble knows, no matter how many admin and other IDs you have on their sites, that it is you (and doesn't show you multiple cookie screens), because you are logged into your computer under your own username. Anyone else logged onto to your computer will be using their own username, not yours. They'll get just one cookie screen too!

Surely, you're not going to tell me you share a Windows username with someone else? It's not even a question of security - just personal choice. I use a different set of programs to my wife, so want a Start Menu that contains the programs that I use regularly, and a particular set of desktop icons. I prefer a different colour scheme, screen saver, and screen wallpaper. Even if I haven't set a password on my computer, because I trust her, when I sit down at the computer, I will still switch the Windows User to my own account, just to use it the way I like it without upsetting the task my wife was half way through.

It's the way the world works and software designers expect it to work that way. If you don't tell the computer you are a different user then every person sitting at your keyboard is the same user - by definition! It's users that computers count not people!

Re: Question about cookies...

mywaytoo
GregChapman wrote
If you don't tell the computer you are a different user then every person sitting at your keyboard is the same user - by definition! It's users that computers count not people!
That takes me back to my question... Why didn't I need to log in when I 'became' a non-admin, or whatever it was... I've forgotten now...
Anne

Re: Question about cookies...

GregChapman
mywaytoo wrote
GregChapman wrote
If you don't tell the computer you are a different user then every person sitting at your keyboard is the same user - by definition! It's users that computers count not people!
That takes me back to my question... Why didn't I need to log in when I 'became' a non-admin, or whatever it was... I've forgotten now...
It's because to your computer thinks you are the same person.

You only seem to be considering the various names that you have registered at Nabble. You can login and out of a Nabble site under a dozen different usernames, but unless you log out of Windows then, to the computer, you are the same person. Cookies are stored in your Windows user space, they are not stored against the various ids you may have created for yourself at Nabble.