Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond
Hello. I've created a new private forum, and I want people to be able to request access as stated on the help page. But it's not working. When I register as a new Nabble user, log in, and go to my forum, all I get is the following:
Private Forum
Authorized Users Only
Sorry, but only authorized users can proceed in this area. If you are a registered user, login to send a request to the forum owners.
No request form is ever displayed. I can log in as many times as I like and it doesn't change a thing. I have the following options set:
  • Top Level: Only Authorized Can View & Post
  • Sub-Forums: Inherit Who Can View & Post
  • Top Level: Restrict New Topics & Sub-Forums
  • Sub-Forums: Don't restrict new topics
The forum is embedded with the forced redirect turned on, but turning it off doesn't change the behavior. Still no access request form, only the Authorized Users Only page.

Are there any other options I should be looking at? All help much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Steve,

Based on your description, I believe that you are going directly to the "restricted" page (as an unregistered user), not to the forum page. Do you see the access request form when you visit the page below?
http://n2.nabble.com/WorkTest-f1486636.html

To test the "request access" form, you should try to visit your forum from its main link. If you still have problems, please post the link to your forum in your reply.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond
Hi, Hugo. Thanks for the quick reply.

Your test link works correctly for me. I see the request form.

Going directly to my forum's permalink doesn't work. No request form. Here's the link:

http://n2.nabble.com/The-Kenneth-G.-Mills-Foundation-Community-f2275814ef2275814.html;cid=1233852955409-286

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond
Here's a bit more behavioral info about this problem, which is still not resolved.

Here's what I tried and observed just now:
  • Cleared cookies for nabble.com and w2.nabble.com
  • Pasted permalink from my previous post
    • Browser went to non-embedded login page
  • I logged in
    • Browser went to Nabble home page, not embedded
  • I pasted the permalink a second time
    • Browser went to embedded page
    • Logged-in username displays correctly in upper right
    • But login form displays in embedded page
  • I log in a second time
    • Browser displays "Authorized users only" message, not the request form
There are at least three problems with this scenario:
  1. Why doesn't it go to the embedded page the first time I navigate to the permalink? The forum is set to redirect always.
  2. Why am I asked to log in when it clearly knows I'm already logged in? (The username is displayed.)
  3. Why do I see "Authorized users only" instead of the access request form?
Please help. Thanks.

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Steve,

We have found the bug and it will be gone after the next release (which should happen in the next hours).
Thanks for reporting this.

Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond
Thanks, Hugo. I'll be on the lookout!

Steve

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Graham Perrin
@ Nabble

I see the    ;cid=    aspect. Will <http://n2.nabble.com/reference-from-embedded-search-result-fails-to-lead-to-the-required-post-tp950354p950354.html> fit with the resolution here?

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

hi Steve,

The request form is working fine now. Please take a look and let me know if you have more questions, comments or concerns.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond
Hi, Hugo. Better, thanks, but I still see some problems:
  • Request form does come up as expected, but it can't be submitted in Firefox. After I click the button the page just sits there unchanging. No Javascript error, just no action.
  • The request form does submit okay in IE, at least it says "Request sent successfully," but it's 30 minutes later and I haven't received a request message in my owner's email. I'll post here again after an hour or so.
  • There's still what I perceive to be an inconsistency in what the user sees when they're not logged in. The last logged in username can display in the upper right corner even when no one is actually logged in. This results in a confusing (IMO) user experience, like this:
    • Registered user whose session has expired comes to the embedded private forum page to which he does not have access permission.
    • He sees his username in the upper right corner, but the login form is displayed on the page. This is the confusing part.
    • If he clicks on his username, he sees his public profile. There's no "logout" link because he's not really logged in.
    IOW, there's an inconsistency between what the user sees in the upper right after deliberately logging out (a "login" link) and what the user sees after the session expires (the username, even though it's not really logged in). I think this should be corrected. If no one is actually logged in, it should show the "login" link rather than the username.
Thanks.

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond
Okay, the authorization request email did finally arrive. It took about an hour. The links in it work, so that part is all right.

Please address the other two points from my previous post, especially the Firefox issue. Thanks.

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond
There's another facet to the logged-in inconsistency. Not only do you sometimes see the username in the upper right when you're not really logged in, but you also sometimes see the login form in the main part of the page when you really are logged in.

One example:
  • I'm logged in as the forum owner.
  • I go to Options/Users/Who can view & post.
  • I click Save Changes.
  • It displays the login form rather than taking me back to where I was. I'm still logged in, because I can click the Back to the forum link and get there just fine. So why in the world would it show me the login form?
Thanks.

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Hugo (Nabble)
Thanks for reporting this. We found the bug and we are working on a fix.
I'll let you know when it is fixed and this should happen very soon.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Hugo (Nabble)
Hi Steve,

The bug has been fixed.
Please check your forum and let me know if you still see the problem.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Hugo (Nabble)
Hi Steve,

This bug has been fixed too.
Please check your forum and let me know if you still see the problem.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira

Re: Private forum - Access request form desired but not coming up

Steve Diamond

Hi, Hugo. Both of those issues seem to be fixed. Thanks much.

I'm still looking for a fix for this issue. I'm about to add some more detail to that thread about one scenario that replicates the problem.

Thanks!