Post Limit

erkan
Hello Nabble,

First of all, on behalf of forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com community I'd like to take this chance to thank you for this great forum service, it is absolutely awesome! Ad-free, fast and stable!

Being, according to nabble.com homepage, one of the coolest (might be the hottest actually!) communities amongst nabble; as you might expect some very active threads in our forum reach their limit so quickly (in less than a week sometimes) and confuse our members, and finally making them have to open new threads to continue the discussion.

I think there is a 56 pages (around 1000 posts) limit to each thread. And I wonder if there's a chance to increase the limit, or even better, make it unlimited?

I take it that more posts in a thread means more load on the servers and probably a slower forum experience. But it shouldn't be something that mighty nabble couldn't find a solution to, I would assume?

Our community really loves nabble, and we will love you even more if we won't have to cut our discussions in half due to post limit by threads.

Thank you in advance, and keep up the great work.
Yours faithfully,

erkan

Re: Post Limit

Hugo <Nabble>
We could raise the limit to – let's say 1500 or 2000 messages – but this would really solve your problem? With such a high number of posts, we would probably have to disable the list and threaded views because they would become very slow and tough to use. An unlimited number of posts wouldn't be possible.

Please let me know what you think so that we can find a solution for your problem.

Re: Post Limit

erkan
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
We could raise the limit to – let's say 1500 or 2000 messages – but this would really solve your problem? With such a high number of posts, we would probably have to disable the list and threaded views because they would become very slow and tough to use. An unlimited number of posts wouldn't be possible.

Please let me know what you think so that we can find a solution for your problem.
1500 and 2000 posts wouldn't be enough either, for certain topics.

I take it that only with removing the list and threaded views, will unlimited number of posts be possible? If so, I wouldn't mind loosing list and threaded views.

Also, I wonder if this action -removing the list and threaded view- is reversible.

Re: Post Limit

erkan
Oh by the way, I thought "post limit" was the problem. But it seems, I misinterpreted the situation.

Our real problem seems to be this: after 56 pages / 1000 posts, we can still post in the thread but after clicking "post message" button, we're being sent to the first page.

And in topics view or in main page (which are the only two viewing options for our forum right now) when we click "last post" of the said thread (http://forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com/BUGRA-GULSOY-td2384714.html), we're being forwarded to the first page of this thread , instead of the last page. Which as you can guess, affects our forum-ing experience negatively.

So this seems to be the problem we face. Sorry for the misinterpretion earlier. I hope there is a fix for this as well.

Thank you in advance for your work and time,
erkan

Re: Post Limit

Hugo <Nabble>
We just can't make the number of posts unlimited. If you guys use the forum to talk, then you should use a chat box. The point is that our code looks for a fixed number of messages under the topic and changing this is not simple. At this point, it retrieves 1000 post only. Maybe the solution here is to remove the "Reply" links when the thread is completely full. We can push the post limit a little bit (e.g., 1500 posts), but not make it unlimited. Please let me know if this solution works for you.

Re: Post Limit

erkan
"If you guys use the forum to talk, then you should use a chat box."

I don't know what you mean by this, is it a hint or sarcasm?

Because we do of course use the forum to talk. That's what forums are for, after all. We have members all around the world. They cannot be online at the same time to chat on msn or chatboxes. In our forum our members converse under more than one topic, each has different content. They share links, photos and other things with each others as well. Can those be done in a chat box?

Know that we're not computer experts. Actually I know only too little about forums, and I can't know how badly not having a post limit might affect nabble or our forum.

And I don't know whether all other forums (outside of nabble) have a post limit or not. I know that Blizzard  -gaming company- forums have a 26 page limit, with 20 post on each page but they can remove the limit on a certain thread if they get requests from the users.

Anyway, it can't be helped if you can't make the number of posts unlimited. Which, I think, you could have told us in the first place. Not that I regret joining the paid support forum, I still think nabble is great and you guys are very helpful. But if unlimited posts are not possible, then I guess we'd be happy to see the limit increase as much as you guys can afford.

Thank you on behalf of forum.whatisfatmagulsfault.com,
erkan

Re: Post Limit

Hugo <Nabble>
erkan wrote
I don't know what you mean by this, is it a hint or sarcasm?
It was a hint, just a tip. I apologize if it sounded like sarcasm.
erkan wrote
Because we do of course use the forum to talk. That's what forums are for, after all. We have members all around the world. They cannot be online at the same time to chat on msn or chatboxes. In our forum our members converse under more than one topic, each has different content. They share links, photos and other things with each others as well. Can those be done in a chat box?
Okay, I understand now. I will take a closer look at our code and see if we can improve how the limit works. I will get back to you soon.

Re: Post Limit

It seems like this has been fixed.

True?

Fwiw we have disabled thread and list views long ago.
HTTPS Please!