Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Coleen_Astalos
In the send_subscription_email (which calls the n.send macro I can't see), is it possible to set the "Envelope-to" address to person the email is actually going to (local_subscription.user.user_email) and the To: address to reflect the email address of the forum (n.local_subscription.user.reply_address_for.local_node/)

In looking at the headers of Yahoogroup emails, this is how they are set so that a reply will go to the original submitter of the item to the forum and a reply-all will go to both that person and the list address.   This is what an email received from a Yahoogroup mailing list looks like:
To: sudsol@yahoogroups.com (the list address)
Sender: sudsol@yahoogroups.com (the list address)
From: sender@email.com (the email address of the poster)

I am able to set the "Sender" header using
<n.set_header name="Sender" value="[n.local_subscription.user.reply_address_for.local_node/]"/>

I've tried setting the "Envelope-to" the same way, but it ends up getting overwritten - I believe within the "send" macro itself - set to the same as what is passed for the to: <to.local_subscription.user.user_email/>
The "Envelope-to" is what is actually used to deliver the email - so it would be correct to set it to the local_subscription.user_email
The "To:" is not actually used for delivery, but used display who the message was originally sent to (which actually was the forum)

I believe if we can set the Envelope-to and the To independently, I can finally get to the solution my members desire being able to reply to the person individually (using Reply) and to reply to the individual AND the list (using Reply-All).

Let me know.
Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Pedro
We have tried to set the Envelope-to header, but it is not so easy to that. Besides, I'm not so sure it would solve your issue.

Re: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Coleen_Astalos
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
We have tried to set the Envelope-to header, but it is not so easy to that. Besides, I'm not so sure it would solve your issue.
Please don't dismiss this so quickly.  This is the #1 complaint I have from my users - being able to reply easily to the sender with the reply feature of their email and to both the sender & forum with reply-all .   When we switched from Yahoogroups to Nabble in December , we had 1052 users, now we're down to 990 users.  I know much of this decline is because of the switch to Nabble.  It's really hard for people to adjust to change.  I'm trying to make that change as small as possible by giving them similar features to what they had on the Yahoogroup.  This is the only remaining issue I have.

I truly believe that Nabble is FAR SUPERIOR to Yahoogroups, as there are a lot more features available.  But the lack of  this one feature is killing us.   I'm willing to stand on my head and turn in circles, do anything to make this feature available.  I'm willing to do the changing, testing, etc. - but this is a section of the code that you've not made open for me to customize.

Do I know for certain it will work? No.  But I hope it will!  I've done a lot of research on this.   I've compared all the headers from Yahoogroups configured to Reply to Sender as well as Yahoogroups configured to Reply to the List to see the difference.  The key thing appears to be the "Envelope-To" setting differs from the "To:" line.  In a Yahoogroups email, the To: line is the mailing list address.  The Envelope-To line is the final recipient of the email.

Plus these settings make sense for a mailing list.  The poster sent their email To the forum (To: line is maintained as the forum address").  The forum then redelivers the email to all the subscribers - using the Envelope-To header (that's what actually makes the mailing delivery happen - what's in the Envelope-To, not what's in the To line.)

My reasoning of why this will work is...
When the email is received by the subscriber, the "Reply" option sends a reply to the email address in the "From" line (which in our case would be the poster of the note to the forum).  If on the email there is more than one recipient then the "Reply-All" option becomes available within the email program.  The Reply-All sends a reply to the address in the From: line header PLUS any email addresses in the To: line besides the recipient.  Since the To: line maintains the forum address, that would cause it to issue a reply to both the original poster and the forum.

Please, pretty please (beg, beg, grovel, grovel), can you look into this further, or give me access to the Send module so I can modify it to try it out for myself?

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Pedro
Have you seem the Envelope-To: address different from the receiver email address?

Re: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Please, try this header to see if it gets better:
  <n.new_email.>
            <n.set_header name="Reply-To" value="[n.local_node.owner.user_email/],[n.local_subscription.user.reply_address_for.local_node/]"/>
            <n.send>
                <to.local_subscription.user.user_email/>

RE: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Coleen_Astalos

Yes, Here is a copy of the Yahoogroup headers for an email sent through our old Yahoogroup:

Envelope-To and To addresses are highlighted in Yellow below:

22:51:32 -0700 (PDT)

Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

sentto-21604141-108304-1397281867-coleen=[hidden email]

designates 98.139.165.7 as permitted sender)

smtp.mail=sentto-21604141-108304-1397281867-coleen=[hidden email];

dkim=pass header.i=@yahoogroups.com

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of

sentto-21604141-108304-1397281867-coleen=[hidden email]

designates 98.139.165.7 as permitted sender) client-ip=98.139.165.7;

22:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

LMTP id 95PMGhXUSFMsCgEA3mkJEQ for <[hidden email]>; Fri, 11 Apr 2014

22:51:12 -0700

Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:51:12 -0700

(FreeBSD)) (envelope-from

<sentto-21604141-108304-1397281867-coleen=[hidden email]>)

id 1WYqqM-000Hni-9w for [hidden email]; Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:51:12 -0700

incoming-mx.esosoft.net

FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS,HTML_MESSAGE,RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE,RP_MATCHES_RCVD,SPF_PASS

shortcircuit=no autolearn=disabled version=3.3.2

squirrel.esosoft.net with esmtp (Exim 4.82 (FreeBSD)) (envelope-from

<sentto-21604141-108304-1397281867-coleen=[hidden email]>)

id 1WYqqL-000HnZ-M2 for [hidden email]; Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:51:10 -0700

s=echoe; t=1397281868; bh=lotV12ALdl21pkueIRJZSEyeNo3D2vKRFnoCzCR+1TE=;

h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type;

b=U3L7oNjSOftt3nhvfdnKYyDYPr2wYN6r4yXFpg7wi1TlNZUagyCnv6WXTxlYFvBCO6nhXDxGrBR5rIJrVHraxVI3IXUUVsAY1PELrrW8I4TY1syrohUm3ZCqPzkYNIMspS+F2Ql7He+eP78+YnMr1b1b7vdNdJ5DOqMcd0FRytU=

b=2L2kQlYOgFrPuec/89GYQ+7VA9XOneptK9jR9ELjv//fiFEILMlB5Bbv0lIZb9hIM24zaGMk3QkPVYCw4JGyde5DAjqOVGRb5dEBeNmxh4VUrrFByU9eq1dSDysZniGqsyfEXpYRr/iXZ2axu63hed6W1Dn9sb43oqZXBKG3JHI=;

Apr 2014 05:51:07 -0000

12 Apr 2014 05:51:07 -0000

m10.grp.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; 12 Apr 2014 05:51:06 -0000

mtaq4.grp.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; 12 Apr 2014 05:51:06 -0000

squirrel.esosoft.net with esmtpa (Exim 4.82 (FreeBSD)) (envelope-from

<[hidden email]>) id 1WYqqH-000Hmr-OL for [hidden email]; Fri, 11

Apr 2014 22:51:06 -0700

To: <[hidden email]>

From: "Coleen Astalos" <[hidden email]>

Sender: [hidden email]

Mailing-List: list [hidden email]; contact

[hidden email]

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 23:50:49 -0600

Subject: SU!: Data for Reply vs Reply-All testing

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_038F_01CF55E0.E6F03190"

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, [hidden email]
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

Have you seem the Envelope-To: address different from the receiver email address?

http://support.nabble.com/Possible-to-set-Envelope-to-header-separate-from-To-header-tp7590029p7590035.html

To unsubscribe from Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?, click here.
NAML

Please, try this header to see if it gets better:

  <n.new_email.>
            <n.set_header name="Reply-To" value="[n.local_node.owner.user_email/],[n.local_subscription.user.reply_address_for.local_node/]"/>
            <n.send>
                <to.local_subscription.user.user_email/>

http://support.nabble.com/Possible-to-set-Envelope-to-header-separate-from-To-header-tp7590029p7590036.html

To unsubscribe from Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?, click here.
NAML

RE: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Who was the author of this message?

RE: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Coleen_Astalos
Just double checking you got the emails I sent you about this with the email address (since Nabble blocks) as well as another example sent from a different email address than the receiving email address.
Thanks,
Coleen

RE: Possible to set Envelope-to: header separate from To: header?

Pedro
I've received, but still haven't found a wat to set the envelope-to. That might be only set by the smtp server.
My test forum.